My 5 year old is covered in poison ivy....

We're off to pick up a prescription from the doctor, just wondering if you guys know of any other home remedies to help until the medicine gets to work...poor thing is miserable.

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 10:01 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• There is an over-the-counter product called Technu which is highly effective. They also make a wash for people who are allergic to use whenever they have been exposed to poison ivy. Our youngest son uses it all the time because he is highly allergic to poison ivy. Go to the pharmacy section of Walmart and you will find it on the shelves, I believe.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Ouch!!!!! aveno baths might soothe him.

Answer by older at 10:02 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Poor baby!! I'm glad you're taking him to the doctor. My mom takes baths with Aveeno to help, but I bet your doc can tell you what else to try. (Some home remedies can make it worse.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My gf had it and found tht laundry detergent worked wanders for hers. I don't know if it would be good for a child tho. She scrub her body with it then  showered it off... Hugs for your little one... ((()))

Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 10:27 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Poor thing!! The prescription will help a lot. I get it every year. I pour alcohol on it. It stings, but since you are so itchy, I kind of welcome the sting. It makes it dry up fast. All the itchy lotions help - benedryl lotion, etc... They need to be applied often. Oatmeal baths help too. Good luck!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:22 AM on Jul. 8, 2010