If God helps those who help themselves...

Does that mean he has abandoned those who have given up? I mean is someone has totally given up don't they need God's help more than anyone.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it means you can't just sit back and let things happen you need to go out in the world and be part of it.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I don't believe that statement. I believe God finds great joy in helping someone who realizes that they CANNOT help themselves. Only through Him can we have success at anything truly worthy in this life. When there is NONE of us, and ALL of Him......that is when the greatness happens! Hide me Behind the Cross Lord!
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 10:27 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• God offers the free gift of his son to all, but you have to accept it. That is the meaning of the quote. The Savior is always available no matter what you do or where you go...he is there and he loves you. But you have to take the step towards him and take the help.

He wont force it on anyone, because our other gift from him is free will.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 10:27 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I dont think God gives up on anyone...No matter what religion you are..Or the circumstance.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 10:29 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,f that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.”

John 3: 16-21
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• i think this is another one of those 'sayings' that people think, because they've heard it often, is scripture, but it isn't. its simply man's rendering of what he believes to be true.
    i believe God, like any parent, loves all of us all the time..he's just not happy with all of us, all the time. matthew 5:45 -"In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to BOTH the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the JUST and the UNJUST alike.''
    man can help himself all day long..God is not in the business of choosing favorites, to bless certain ones more than others, IMO. i have a brain, and i use it to the best of my ability, whether than means physical or mental labor. what you do with your brain and abilities is totally on YOU.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:22 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Actually, I felt abandoned for every one of the 30 some years I spent in the church, working my tail off for god and getting the sh*tty end of the stick. I feel that those who DO help themselves, who look for their own answers, and work towards a goal don't even NEED god. Which is a very liberating feeling, I can tell you.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:46 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• If a person is helping themselves can they really say for certain that god had any part in helping them?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I think that saying is a nicer way of saying "You can't just sit on your buttinski and pray...you gotta do the WORK as well."

For instance: If I want to loose weight, I can't just pray to the gods (cast a spell) that I loose weight and then just sit on my couch eating potato chips and expect the pounds to melt off. Huh-uh! I also need to get off my @$$, get some exercise, eat healthily, etc.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• For clarification, are you saying that those who believe in god get through life ok and those who don't believe, suffer?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:00 AM on Jul. 8, 2010