This might sound like a stupid question, but it's a real one.

With sign language, is it universal? Like if you only speak Spanish, French, English etc is the same signs? Or are they different?

cynprz

Asked by cynprz at 10:25 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, ASL is what Americans use... I suppose their are different style within each country to (as we have different accents and dialects)

I found this about sign language in different countires.

MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 10:27 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I thought I read it is different in parts of the world. have also had the same thought.
    LuvOurFamily

Answer by LuvOurFamily at 10:27 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I really don't know but I would assume it may be different or they would not have labled it American Sign Language. I would google it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:43 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Oh ok, I was just asking because my cousin had her baby back in June. She recently got a letter from the State of Illinois saying her son failed the hearing test and she has to take him back for a follow up test and depending on that she will have to take him to a specialist. We all live here in Illinois, but we are Mexican American first generation so we all speak Spanish, that's why I was asking if it was different.

cynprz

Comment by cynprz (original poster) at 10:35 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I'm not sure! Really good question though!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:52 AM on Jul. 8, 2010