For those struggling with adult ADD

I have been struggling alot with it I am unable to focus on anything anymore I cant organize anything my home is a mess all the time and I do try to clean everyday but I am easily distracted from what needs to be done I think I need to get on medicine or something I havent taken any medicine for it since I was in elementry school I was taking ritalin at the time I just need help in being able to get things done.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Health

• I am in the same boat. I need to be back on medication. I feel like a horrible failure and a bad mother when i can't get out of my own way. I have been pregnant/breastfeeding for the past 3 years (almost) so I need to wait until I am done bfing my youngest to get some relief from the symptoms. I have been on Adderall, Ritalin but the one that worked best for me was Dexadrine. I am looking forward to getting help soon. Good luck - it helps also to talk to those who have it as well I have found. Other people think you are just being lazy or overacting.
    savimom628

Answer by savimom628 at 12:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• If that's what you need to do, then go for it. I've been managing to squeak by practically mainlining caffeine and having a Home Management Binder that really works for me -- when I remember to use it.

Yes, there are times when everything gets away from me and I feel like a failure. I've been where you are! But take a deep breath, use some of those organizing tips you've learned, realize that not everything is going to get done in a day, and you can climb out of the hole you're in. You really can.

But honestly, if meds will do it, then go to the doctor. I should, but I'm a big chicken-baby.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 11:21 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• That's what happens for most adults. We go off meds at some point, then reach a plateau...you're doing the best you can but there isn't any improvement...you feel like you're doing all you can but still failing.

That's what the meds are for...to get you over the hump. Going back on meds made a huge difference in my life. I regret all the time i wasted when i was off them.

Plus, there are lots of new stuff that wasn't around when you were a kid. It might take a few tries to get a match but you'll find that the side effects aren't nearly as bad. I recommend Vyvanse.

I wasn't sure what to do when i had the feelings you described so i called the peditrician i saw for it when i was a kid. He gave me a one month perscription and a copy of my records to take to my family doctor, and my family doctor took over from there.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 11:26 AM on Jul. 8, 2010