My kid won't sleep!

He was always a good sleeper. He recently learned how to climb out of the crib with no problem but I still think he is too young for a toddler bed (he's 23 months but still gets in to EVERYTHING, climbs on things he shouldn't, etc.). We still have him in the crib but he can still get out as he pleases. Bought a crib tent and he busted through it in less than a month. But now he will NOT sleep. He still has his bedtime routine and goes to bed every night at 7:30pm but he will not go to sleep until at least midnight. We still have to all wake up at 6:30am and now he's barely even napping! This kid seriously gets maybe 6 hours of sleep a day. I can't even run on that! What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It could be the food/drink he has during the day. If you're loading him up with sugar and a lot of carbs he could be having a hard time going to sleep because of it. It could be that he simply isn't tired. My 2 year old stopped taking naps during the day because she wouldn't sleep at night if she did. It could be there is too much stimulation too close to bed time - maybe try starting his bed time routine a little earlier and get him "snuggled down" actually in bed, quiet with lights off earlier (give him more time to get to sleep). It really could be a lot of things.

And I also just wanted to throw out that 23 months really isn't too young for a toddler bed. My DD started climbing out of her crib at 14 months so we put her in a toddler bed and it has actually helped a lot because now she thinks she is a "big girl" and has a "big girl bed."
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Does he take a nap? If so you might want to skip the nap. So that he'll be very tire at night.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 4:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2010