How can I safely cool off my son's room at night?

We're expecting to hit 100 today, and on Monday it was cool and rainy. We're not used to this! Yesterday it was 95 and last night was MISERABLE. My son (who's three) hardly slept at all last night. We have a window AC unit in our living room, but it does not cool down the bedrooms.

I'm scared to leave my son's window open for fear that he'll wake up, start playing, and fall out. He loves trying to climb in the windows and he's always getting in trouble for it.

What do you think?

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Try putting a fan in the hallway to pull down some of the cooler air from the living room at night. I would put it in the hallway at least an hour before he goes to bed. In this day and age, I would defnitely not leave my son's bedroom window open for more than one safety reason.
    Jakesmom623

Answer by Jakesmom623 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I'd be camping in the living room!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:51 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Let him sleep in the living room. or get an AC for the bedrooms.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:52 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Move in to the living room to sleep. That's what my family would do on the extremely hot nights. We'd make it fun and "camp" in the living room. You can also take a simple fan and place a bowl of ice in front of it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:52 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Let him sleep in the living room?
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 11:51 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Get a fan that will point upward towards the ceiling to circulate the air and make it cooler in there without actually blowing on him.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 11:54 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• just move him to another room Or get him a small fan for his room.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:54 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Get a window fan. That's what my boys have. It blocks the window and really cools the room at night. Also put screens on the windows.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:57 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• A fan maybe?
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• We have that kind of heat all summer. Do you have a fan? Here, of course, we all use ceiling fans, but I have found some pretty good fans out there. I would get one of those and make him understand he cannot touch it. Another thing, make sure you leave your curtains and blinds shut during the day and keep your house shut up. This alone will help to keep the house cool. I would strip him down to a diaper and let him sleep like that. You could also fill up one of those water bags and let him keep it with him at night.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2010