Have you ever put a little lemon juice in your hair?

Before going out in the sun. Does it drastically lighten it, or just a little?

mompam

Asked by mompam at 11:55 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• it doesn't do much, but dry out your hair. obviously, the more you are in the sun, day in/day out, and the more lemon juice(sun-in, 3%peroxide, etc) you apply to your hair, it will strip the cuticle and 'lighten'..not drastically, though. also, by lightening, i mean, damaging..your hair will become porous and more susceptible to future damage/breakage..and when you go to color the same hair, it will color differently, often it will not color as desired.
    but to answer the first ?..yes, i have. and i also, whilst not sober, used citrus-flavored bacardi. LOL!! just wasted the drink..that's all.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:59 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• and i also, whilst not sober, used citrus-flavored bacardi. LOL!! just wasted the drink..that's all.

***

laughing

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Used to do it all the time as a young teen! LOL :o) I am naturally light brown with natural blond highlights, I think the lemon juice just brightened my hair--by stripping away the oils in my hair (naturally and from sweat), making them LOOK blonder. I don;t think it actually lightened it.

Now, Hydrogen Peroxide WILL lighten it. We also used to comb a little through on wet hair and let it dry in the sun. Can you tell I was a beach bum?! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:59 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Ha ha your funny LoriKeet. My daughter used lemon juice and it lightened up her hair a bit. Seems a little more orange though. Nothing drastic.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• just a little like sun in.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I used it when I was a teen. Just a little lighter - but the blonder you are already, the better it works.

Answer by missanc at 3:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• When I was younger I use to use Hydrogen Peroxide and lime juice put in a spray bottle and soak my hair and leave it for about 20 mitnues. It would alway lighten my hair.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 4:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2010