In Laws (or So's Fam)?

How is your relationship with your in laws or so's family?

I have a great friendship with 2 of my so's 8 siblings- and we have been friends for 14 years... They are completely supportive of "Us", and see all of the good that we bring one another.
The other 6... plus his parents... well, that is another story.

How do you cope, without making a fool of yourself, or causing unnecessary offense? Being rude to them definitely does NOT help.

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 11:55 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• I love his family & they love me!♥
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:57 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• He does not have a lot of family. He is an only child and his mother left when he was 12. He did not see her again until he was 17. I can count on one hand how many times she has seen our children who are 2 and 4. I have great relationship with his father. He drives me crazy sometimes but he lives 2 hours away so its always a great treat for our little boys to see him. He is a really great guy and did an amazing job raising my husband on his own.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 11:59 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• We get along fine. I would be as nice as I possibly could when you are with the difficult ones....more flies with honey, ya know? I would also not see them any more than is absolutely necessary! If you and your SO are doing fine, then forget all the negative energy and be happy. Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• - no being rude does not help, so someone should tell that to my SIL. Sometimes I wish my husband had more siblings so I could be friends with at least one of them. My SIL doesn't like me and I have never given her a reason to not like me. She has a mental illness, I have finally come to that conclusion because she is just not right inside her head. Her family treat her like she is a child and walk on eggshells while around her, even if she does something that hurts others and yes that includes me. I have been hurt so many times I have lost count. I have not given up but I am backing down because trying gets me nowhere. When she needs me I will be there but not until then.
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 12:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• my hubby is an adopted child, I get along great with mom & dad, I love them. His adoptive brother and him do not talk, they do not like each other. He has 2 other adoptive sisters, we do not talk, not because we don't like each other or anything, we just dont. They are alot older than he is, he does keep in contact with them. They live in a different state so it's hard to make that connection. I know what you mean though, about not wanting to be rude and it not helping, sometimes you just do things for your spouse. We are both in situations where we have people in our lives we are not happy with but he talks to them for me, I talk to them for him, out of courtesy I guess.

LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I love my DH family. My DH also get along real well with my mum. My inlaws and I have a few issues with each other but you just try to move past it. Just be yourself and if they don't like it they can get over it.
    sweet2bmom

Answer by sweet2bmom at 12:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• it depends on what the issues are. things aren't good between me and my MIL because she is a widow and she is therefore very needy. she made my husband her surrogate husband when his dad died when he was 18. her problem is she does not know how to let go and let her son live his life and in her attempt to do so she has been down right rude to me.

anyway, how i cope is motherinlawhell.com :) it really helps me and it doesn't have to just be about the mother in law
    pmg1030

Answer by pmg1030 at 12:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My in laws are kina cool.I mean besides the fact that my mother in law hasn't seen my 19th month old still,...yeah that's some what sad...but life goes on!
    CafeMom732

Answer by CafeMom732 at 9:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2010