Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do they call the shot that stops labor progression?

I can't remember the name of it.


Asked by kimberlyinberea at 12:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

Level 29 (39,262 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • There are several different meds used to stop labor. Magnesium is usually given by IV and you stay in the hospital; terbutaline (sp?) is one they often give as a shot (that is the one that makes you feel all jittery). There are others as well.

    Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

  • terbutaline

    Answer by plclemo at 12:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

  • terbutaline....I htink magnesium is for blood pressure?

    Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

  • another one is brethine. it is like terbutaline but to me ten times worse as I never did well with it.

    Answer by carmadsmom at 1:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

  • I've had both terbutaline and brethine in oral forms. ( I think one is the brand name and the other is the generic. It is the same drug) The shot is Magnesium Sulfate if I remember correctly. It's a muscle relaxer.

    Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2010