Anybody have wood panel walls in their home?

We have ugly wood panel walls in the house we are renting. We're not allowed to paint them, I need temporary decorating ideas. We will only be staying here two more years before buying a house, so I don't want to put too much money into it.

EFotiou

Asked by EFotiou at 12:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Home & Garden

• What you could do is go with bright cheery colors for pillows and rugs OR - find a great deal on some bright cheerful fabric that you can "tack" up for wallpaper.
    Cover the wall with pictures - take photos of bright flowers, take them to a place that can blow them up to 10X13 Frame them with a nice white mat in black of white frames and use the command hooks to hang them (Command by 3M usually has online coupons you can print out).
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Since you cannot paint, there isn't a whole lot that you can do. Can you try wallpaper without leaving any damage?
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I know you would like to change the ugly wood paneling-I don't like it either- but since you are going to be looking for a place to buy I would wait until you actually buy something. That way you can save the money you would use to "cover it up" to buy your house. Good Luck
    sweet2bmom

Answer by sweet2bmom at 12:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I have wood panel walls in my kitchen and dining room. We own our home so we painted them, and I dont even notice them anymore :)

But since you cant paint, I think the best thing you can do is to just live with them :) sorry I dont have a better idea.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:20 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I'm really just trying to brighten the place up because it gets pretty depressing. We have 5 lights and white curtains, but it just stays dark and gloomy in here. Any ideas for colors for maybe rugs or carpet, pillows and other things we can take with us without it looking like a circus or the 70s threw up in our living room?
    EFotiou

Comment by EFotiou (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I don't have any advice for you since you are renting, but for those of you with your own house, here is a site that tells you how to cover wood paneling so that in the end it looks like a normal wall. This is what we did to our living room. The second link takes you to some pictures of our living room before and after. Sorry, I don't know how to make links clickable.

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/interiors/paneling/conceal.htm

http://christinatimsphotosite.shutterfly.com/62 click the right arrow button to see the after pictures
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2010