Help with potty training, please!!!

Our DD is 19 months old. We're trying to have her potty trained before our new arrival in October... But, she WILL NOT pee on her little potty and is afraid to sit on a regular toilet. Yesterday, I tried letting her wear "big girl panties". We sat in the bathroom for about 45 minutes- she never peed. As soon as I helped her put the panties back on she peed! So, I changed her into another pair, we went to her room to watch a movie together...15 minutes later she peed again in the panties... I gave up and put a pull-up back on her. Last night, DH and I sat in the bathroom with DD for almost two hours before bedtime. We read to her, played games, let her have TWO sippy cups full of water, we tickled her...SHE NEVER PEED IN THE POTTY. She stood up a few times and some would trickle down her leg, so we'd quickly sit her back on the potty, and she'd stop. So she is able to control her bladder, but will not pee on the potty! HELP!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She doesn't sound ready. I would wait a couple of months and try again. You said you have until October right? When she is truly ready it will not take long.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Uh, she is actually kinda early to be training. around 30 months is the norm. You can't make her learn before the new baby just because you want her too. She is either ready or not.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• She is way too young. Wait until she is at least 2 1/2. I waited until mine were all 3. Then put her in big girl undies and take away the diaper completely. Mine were all completely trained in 3 days.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• We did naked from the waist down around the house for almost a month with my son, that way if they start to pee you can see it and rush them to the toliet, it really worked for us. When we went out in public he only wore pants, no underwear (I read ina book that they are too much like diapers in the beginning) I would lose the underwear all together at least for a while and don't go back and forth between diapers and no diapers it will only confuse her (obviously use them at night though
    ). It can be a bit messy at first but eventually she will get the hang of it. We also would have our son clean up his mess if he peed on the floor, needless to say he only did it a few times when we started that routine. Good luck!
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Oh, and my son was 19 months too.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• She isn't to young but you are going about it the wrong way. You are making a normal body function into a stressful big deal. elimination communication is what you want to do , not modern potty training.

read this: http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1608109/Elimination_Communication_Path_to_a_Diaper_Free_Baby
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• first you need to make sure she is actually ready to potty train. If she is telling you she has to go or she wants you to change her every time she goes, those are good signs. You need to stay consistant ewith a potty routine. take her upon waking, after drinks/meals, before and after naps, before you leave the house and while you are out, before bedtime, and throughout the day when you see cues or if she tells you. Keep her in underpants all day. if she has an accident, does she seem uncomfortable or does she keep playing like it doesnt bother her? does she have any potty dvd's or potty books? My son loves the pull up dvd (which is free btw). in the kids section, bigger kids talk about potty training. my son loves older kids and had more of an interest seeing older kids teach by example. You need to do that too. taker her to the bathroom w/ you when you have to go and narrate what you do
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• The best time to potty train is between 24-27 months...statistically. Most children are ready and willing participants around this age. If I were you, I'd wait until the baby is 6 mo. old and then potty train your toddler. (You're not going to want to do much new during the first six months...allow the toddler and yourself some time to adjust to the new baby). Oh and when you do potty train, my pediatrician recommended a "Potty Training Weekend" where you corral your toddler into a tiled room and/or outdoors for three days and go completely naked. After feeling pee run down their legs three or four times, most children prefer the potty. Plus, it helps them identify the sensation (diapers and pull ups pull the wetness away from the skin so quickly that it isn't an uncomfortable thing).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• she will show signs off being ready when she is , but it dont sound like she is. i tried to get my little boy potty trained but hes almost 3 and still isnt but he is going to the potty more now . he used to but for the longest time he did what u said ur daughter did so i waited anf now he tells me he has to poop in potty when he has to pee but he dont poop in it yet lol he says that when he has to pee , but if u do want her to just keep taking her. she might not even do it though so unless u want to spnd hrs in the bathroom wait until u think she is. :)
    wildcatsgurl06

Answer by wildcatsgurl06 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• To all those who voted me down because I think it's better to wait until they are older and ready...How long did it take to fully train your kids? If it took longer that 3 or 4 days...you started too soon. When hey are physically and mentally ready, it should take no longer than 3 or 4 days. PERIOD!
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:25 AM on Jul. 9, 2010