OK I have a "situation" Did I do the right thing? And what was the purpose of her doing this???

So here goes. At my Best Friends house there was this Huge Ball that is also a sprinkler. All of the kids were playing with it etc. Well her son and my daughter (both 15 yrs) were kicking it back and forth and it got busted. The ball did not belong to my friend however it did belong to a friend of hers (whom I dont know well) and her son is 6 yrs.

Heres the problem. She (my friend) called me @ 8:30 PM wanting me to question my daughter about the ball and how it got broke. My kid fessed up and said that they were kicking it around and she accidentally kicked it onto the metal fence and popped it. So I told her what happened and said that I would replace it. She said no that wont be necessary WE (the other friend was right there) just wanted to know. It made me mad and I went to walmart and within 30 mins of her calling they had a new ball. When I took it over there they were shocked and acted like I was being a bitch. WTF?

GoJoMom2448

Asked by GoJoMom2448 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• I don't see how you are in the wrong for replacing what your DD broke...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I'm not sure I understand why you made it mad. If they didn't want you to replace it, it shouldn't be that big of a deal.Maybe they were just making sure that her son was telling the truth about how it was broken.
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 12:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Sorry.
    Why IT made YOU mad.
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 12:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• i think they just took it the wrong way. i would feel like it was my responsibility to replace it if my kid broke it. if they can be grateful then it's their own fault.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Exactly. But why in the hell did they call me (@ 8:30 PM) if they didnt want it replaced. Not to mention I'm upset because My "Best Friend" put me and my kid on the spot instead of waiting til morning to call and talk to me in private! I feel really outed here. Maybe she's not the friend I thought she was. :(
    GoJoMom2448

Comment by GoJoMom2448 (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Sounds to me like she wanted to rub it in that she knew your kid did it but they were going to begrudgingly replace it and have you know how much of an inconvienience it was.When you bought it,you stole her thunder.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• @ butterflyblue.......That's kinda what I was thinking!!!!!
    GoJoMom2448

Comment by GoJoMom2448 (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I imagine the other moms just called you to find out the whole story. I think it was nice of you to replace it, although I don't think it is anything to get mad about (especially if they did not blame your child or demand it be replaced).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Just saw your updates and got more of the story--- if your friend should have talked to you at a better time not 8:30 at night and in private about it.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• They Stink and I would not let my kids play over there any more. That was VERY nice of you and it was the right thing to do. Most people would just blow it off & not replace it. My neighbors kids broke our fence twice and they knew it was their kids and we waited and they never replaced it. The second time, I approached her nicely and she said "oh we would replace it but the fence piece won't fit in our truck (Suburban)" Yea right! We ended up getting the pieces and putting it in our BMW SUV & it fit. I would be very appreciative if you bought a new one for me. I don't know what their problem was but just stay away.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2010