Are people really THAT stupid, or they just don't want to talk to me because I am a stranger?

I live and go to school in New York City. I love to read books, especially psychology books, books about animals, historical novels, travel guides, Russian literature, and science fiction. I am trying to make friends with people who like to read. Every day, when I take the subway to college, I ask random people what book they are reading right now. I want to strike an intelligent conversation with them. They either can't or don't want to talk to me about books. They usually just say that they liked this book, or that it was good so far. Why can't people have a long conversation with me? Is this because they don't pay attention to what they are reading? Or they just don't want to talk to a stranger on the subway?

annalem

Asked by annalem at 12:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Travel

• I would probably say the latter. It feels awkward to most people to have a drawn out conversation with a stranger.
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 12:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I don't think it is because people are "stupid". I think it is because people are so preoccupied with their own lives and issues that they forget sometimes how to have casual conversation. Also, I think people in this day and age are, unfortunately, a little hesitant to strike up a conversation with a stranger. I would not take it personally.
    Jakesmom623

Answer by Jakesmom623 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Agree with Jakesmom623.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I'm from NY (I live in the suburbs) and the Subway is NOT somewhere I would want to strike up a conversation. Go to the Library or join book groups at Borders. You need to seek out people with likes similar to yours & not just random people. Life in NY is very hectic and these people probably don't have the energy to have a whole convo with you. Also be very careful who you approach because there are a lot of crazies too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• it's new york city subway right? they probably just don't feel comfortable talking to a stranger.
    have you considered a book club? that may work better for you.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I'm guessing its because of the whole stranger thing. Especially if you are saying its NYC. I'd join a book club or some other clubs and organizations through your college.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 12:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• A complete stranger asked me about a book I was reading,I wouldnt have a problem telling them,but to get into a long conversation with them...no thanks. I dont get into long converstaions with any stranger.
    phall1069

Answer by phall1069 at 1:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I don't like getting into long conversations with strangers, so I would say that is probably what it is. Another thought, is that that could be one of the only times the person gets to read and relax, so it might be annoying to have someone talking to you when you just want to read before you get to work or get home and have to get busy again.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• If it makes you feel any better, I would probably get into a ridiculously long conversation about the books I'm reading!

reading

MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• that would be new york city baby!! we don't act like that in the country!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2010