What would cause a childs breath to smell very bad even after brushing and using mouthwash?

He is almost 7 and lately his breath has been almost unbearable!

And so I have helped him brush the past few times to make sure he was doing a really good job, then making him use mouth wash...and I still smell something.

What could cause this, I am becoming more concerned!

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 12:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• stomach issues,tooth decay,dehydration,diabetes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I was always told not drinking enough water can cause bad breath.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 12:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Brush the 7 years olds teeth, toung and gums. Some people don't realize they need to brush all three not just there teeth.

That would be the first thing I would check, that he is brushing properly. Then if all else fails go to the dentist, so they can Identify the problem. Sometimes it is something we can not see. If the dentist don't find a problem then go to the peditrician.

Good luck...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• he might have an absessed tooth. take him to the dentist.. if that's not it then the dr. maybe he's intolerant to something he eats and it causes the smell?
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 12:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Every one of us is prone to bad breath, but kids just don't brush enough or eat right. Sugary cereals, eggs, milk, any dairy, and candy, all give bad breath a great big party. I try to give them yogurt thinking that the good bacteria in that culture in yogurt will eat and digest the bad bacteria in their whole system. It's a good thing to do even daily if they like it.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 12:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• well the first culprit could be decay. Sometimes there re cavities where the untrained eye(aka ours lol) cant see them, like bewtween teeth in the back, ect. Also he may just need a cleaning. be sure you are brushing his tongue as well. If its isnt any of that it can be something he is eating or drinking...if none of those is the answer speak with his doc. Some condition(tho not sure which ones) are marked by bad breath. good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• when my kids have a nasal infection or an ear infection, all that head drainage can make their breath smell bad. I agree with everyone else about the teeth brushing but just wanted to throw that out there.
    Alynn74

Answer by Alynn74 at 12:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I agree with everyone else. It could be a cavity, a decaying tooth, something he's eating, dehydration, or maybe even halitosis. If the problem continues, I think he needs a trip to the dentist.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Cavities - have you taken him to the dentist in the last 6 months?

Answer by missanc at 1:09 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• wanted to add, be careful with mouthwash. the adult kind is NOT for kids-too much alcohol and other things. if he really needs it9talk to the dentist) then make sure its for kids.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 4:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2010