vet treatmeant for fleas

we got 2 new puppies and we already had a small dog ... for our 1st dog we have always got over the counter flea meds and they worked... but now when we got these puppies and they had fleas we used the same med but it didnt work and now ALL 3 of them have fleas and are covered in scabs just from the last couple of weeks... what can the vet do for them, that wont cost a fortune ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You can buy over the counter meds and flea shampoos. I'd also bomb your house, clean all linen and clothes. Fleas are hard to get rid of. Several years ago our 2 cats and 2 ferrets had them and it took a couple days for them to be gone. We didn't take them to the vet, we did what I suggested and they were taken care of.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 12:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• We had a cat with a flea problem once and we gave her a flea bath and then bombed the house. We stayed away for the night. Hubby helped me vacuum the next day, no more fleas!!
    teddybeargirl

Answer by teddybeargirl at 1:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• first i would recommend Frontline. if that doesn't work (if they are overly infested-it will still work but not as fast as you want) then after a couple 2-3 days the vet can give you a oral pill (Capstar- I think) that will kill the adult fleas giving the Frontline a bit more time and it will take care of the rest! GL!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 1:20 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I like canine advantix....it only cost us about 12 bucks and we can buy them one at a time as the vet will break open a box so we don't have to buy the whole thing. You need to bomb your house as now it sounds like you have an infestation. I would call some local vets and ask how mush for the Frontline or Advantix we use it on our Golden Retriever and he has no fleas.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2010