Why do some think juice is a bad thing?

I notice that some say they never give their kids any juice. Why is that? I know that there are some bad, unhealthy juices out there, but they aren't all like that and they count as a serving of fruits and/or veggies--at least the healthy ones do. So what gives? I used to give my son Motts For Tots (lower sugar) and V8 Fusion Light. He's even started drinking regular V8 juice (that was a surprise, I guess he thought he was drinking ketchup, LOL, but he likes so I don't care why). If you have no problem getting your child to eat fruits and vegetables, I can see why I guess.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 12:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I think it's fine every once in a while, watered down, just not often. If you never let a kid try anything sweet, when they do, they'll love it so much that they want it all the time. My brother and I were given juice occasionally as children, yet it wasn't forbidden, and we never even really liked it. The same went for Halloween candy. We were allowed to have what we wanted, but we let it all go to waste. The kids who weren't allowed to have candy would have gladly eaten the whole bag bc it was usually forbidden.
    Anonymous

• Because drinking water is better for you. Real actual fruit is better for you . And juice is full of sugar and can fill a kid up on it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Because juice is FULL of sugar. Tons and tons of it. And it sits on your childrens teeth and rots them.

My two year old is allowed 4 oz a day - 2 oz twice a day, mixed with 4 oz water.

Drinking water and eating fruit is MUCH better than drinking juice.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 12:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My son LOVES veggies and fruits and HATES HATES HATES juice! I know! Little freak! =)
    But maybe a lot of people just feel like they'd rather stay away from it than maybe form the habit of giving them too much.
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• mott's for tots is lower sugar because it's mixed with water, which to me makes it pretty expensive for what it is...

I think juice gives kids a taste for sweet drinks--if you never give it to them to begin with it, they don't miss it.

I don't think it's bad, I think it's expensive for the nutritional dollar.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Because juice (even lower sugar juices) have much more sugar, less fiber, and less nutrients than straight fruit. I don't necessarily think juice is "bad", it's just not as good an option - my kids eat fruits/veggies because that's what I feed them. Diluted juice is a treat for them - which is much better than serving them any other type of refined sugar products for treats.

Answer by missanc at 12:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It isn't a good alternative. You need to keep offering only good healthy nutritious foods until they do eat. Not offer unequal potentially bad replacement.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I don't give my kids juice because it's just not necessary. My kids so rarely eat, why let them fill up on something so full of sugar, even if it's natural sugar? I would rather they eat a piece of fruit. My kids pretty much only drink water. If we go to a restaurant where they can pick, they still choose water over juice.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Yeah like pp said-the sugar content and it fills them up. My pediatrician is a against juice because of those reasons.
    Alynn74

Answer by Alynn74 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My kids have one or two cups of juice per week. Other than that, they drink water. They LOVE to eat actual fruits and vegetables, but know that juice is a "treat". It's full of sugar and fructose, even Juicy Juice 100% which is what I buy. It trains kids to crave juice instead of drinking water, it coats their teeth in sugar, and it is a LOT of calories. I treat juice the same way I treat junk food. The moms I know in real life who gave their babies and toddlers juice all the time now have older kids who will not drink anything but Capri Suns and sodas. The sweetness becomes habit. Fine if that's what they want, but it's not what I choose to teach my kids about the way we care for our bodies.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2010