Long Distance Relationship

If you are or have been in a long distance relationship what things did u do to keep it going??? Just curious :)

A lifetime friend and I are "seeing" each other and we live 2000 miles apart for now. It will be a year before he can move to where I am.

Walker101

Asked by Walker101 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• My DH & I lived on opposite sides of the continent, but we would rendez-vous and meet half way every few months. I was going to move closer to him when we were dating and it went from saying I would move in 4 years to 1 year to 9 months to six months to a few weeks very quickly. The longer we were apart the more we wanted to be together. we constantly emailed and phoned each other and when I finally met up with him in his hometown I moved in 2 weeks later....I just went home, grabbed my pets and some clean underwear and it was on! Bold move, but what the heck, you only live once!
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 3:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Do alot of SKYPE, travel back and forth, keep a journal and send it back and forth with both of you taking turns writing in it...thanks to the internet it is alot easier then it used to be
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 1:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Lots of communication...by phone or computer
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 12:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Sweet hand written letters with perfume on it. Sexy photos but not explicit. Depending on how you guys are. It depends how long you have been seeing him, to keep the flame going I might have phone sex.

Just guessing. good luck!!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My husband and I lived 6 hours apart when we were dating. It was tough but in a way I think it made our relationship stronger because we enjoyed the time we DID have together even more. We ran up a very high long distance phone bill every month ( this was before the age of the internet and cell phones and texting).He would drive down from VA to SC almost every weekend to see me. Sometimes it would be 2-3 weeks before we could see each other but it would make the time we had together nicer because we never argued. We dated for over a year before we got married and when we first got married, we really enjoyed getting to know each other better. We lived in a military town, away from friends and family and HATED it, but not knowing anyone made us closer.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• When I met my husband I was living in Montreal and he was in England.  In 1986 our only options were phone calls and snail mail and he visited me once.  It was 10 months before I was able to re-locate to the UK.

We've been married 22 years tomorrow.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Communication... seriously, it was the only reason we made it through. My husband left for basic and AIT for the Army for 8 months just 4 days after we were married. While he was in basic I wrote him EVERY day and told him everything. I didn't want him to feel like he was missing anything. While he was in AIT, he called me everyday after class, even though it was 4am and I had a newborn I still made a point to talk to him.

Trust. You have to 100% trust each other or you'll begin to worry about infidelity. Worrying is usually the big killer to long distance relationships. Trust and Communication go hand in hand, if you don't have one, you won't get the other.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 2:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• my husband has been stationed in South Korea for the past 10 months (i'm in Texas) and he is deploying next year. we talk most of the time online (i have an iphone and i call it my mini laptop). we have 2 girls together a 6month old and a 2 year old so i don't get a lot of time to myself. so if i get the chance to write him a sexy email or send him a few pictures i will. he is 14 hours ahead of me so it's hard to have "alone time" on skype... sometimes i have to stay up late to see him but it's always worth it!
    Mikayla.Anana

Answer by Mikayla.Anana at 5:13 PM on Jul. 8, 2010