Did you or would you sign a pre-nup?

In recent years, as more couples have drafted prenups, the documents have expanded to spell out terms of the marriage itself, addressing issues such as adultery, intimacy or weight gain, Ms. Moses says. Some prenups also determine things like what religion children will be raised as, or where they will attend school. However, child-support and custody agreements typically aren't included in prenups because those are to be determined separately by the courts.

Because prenups are general legal contracts, same-sex couples may be able to draft financial agreements, even if their state doesn't legally recognize the union, she says. "People are free to contract," Ms. Moses says.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110002/i-love-you-youre-perfect-now-sign-here?mod=family-love_money

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:20 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I didn't and I wouldn't!

Answer by older at 2:09 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• NOPE!!! Pre-nups only state that you do not trust your partner, you are not marrying for the right reasons, and you do not believe that the marriage will survive for a lifetime! People who demand pre-nups have no business getting married in the first place.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Would and did, but it didn't include things like what you listed. We both came into the marriage with significant savings etc. and were burned financially in our divorces the first time so ours basically spells out what we had before getting married and says mine is still mine and his is still his if we ever divorce. Anything that we got during marriage is to be split though.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I didn't, but I have suggested them to friends.

If you have kids and assets, and your future DH has kids and assets, it is important to legally spell out what, where, why and how. It is part of financial planning. If you live in a community property state, you could lose a substantial part of your estate in case of divorce and your kids could lose ALL of your holdings if you die.

I've seen people get royally screwed in death and divorce by not planning better. I've seen a cheating wife who was married all of six months walk out with $300,000 in assets that she didn't bring into the marriage, while the man's family got NADA.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I didn't, but I would. Especially if there are children from previous relationships involved.
    azpreemiemom

Answer by azpreemiemom at 1:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My DH suggested one at the beginning of our relationship, and I told him Heck No! We were thinking of starting a business and he was affraid if we made good money from it that I may divorce him and take the whole buisness. What I told him is that if I contribute to the buisness and our relationship I deserve at least half and there would be no way I would sign a pre-nup and screw myself! He agreed and it was never brought up again.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• No and no.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• We didn't but we live modestly and when we married young we pretty much just had each other. I think it's a matter of how much money one or both have earned separately. I would not want a cheating spouse to get my money.... So of course it would depend on earnings. If we got divorced which I highly doubt we'd split it down the middle.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 2:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I did not, but I understand why someone with significant family assets might make that request. I know several families where 1partner is a member of a family with family owned businesses and expensive prime real estate holdings that have exercised pre-ups. Crap happens, even in the best of circumstances.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2010