Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

any advice is good advice

I qualify for a pel grant and want to go back to school. the program i take will either be 6 or 9 months. im still undecided. i didnt grow up where i live so i dont have any friends close by. they are all 15 + miles from me, and the school is down the street from my house. i dont have a job and i have an infant.

so here is where im having trouble...i have no one close by to watch my child when i go back to school and i cant afford to pay for childcare. my mother is unemployed so i do have her help for now, but she plans to go back to work or school at the end of the summer. is there anything i could do? im in California.

Answer Question

Asked by coralbeth at 1:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in

Level 9 (303 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Did you check with the school you are going to attend? Some school have an early education program and there are lots of girls there looking for babysitting jobs.

    Answer by m-avi at 1:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

  • Tell to your financial aid office. Many schools have grants for child care that you don't have to pay back. Since you qualified for pell, you'd probably qualify for that, as well. good luck and congrats on continuing your education! It isn't easy, but it's definitely worth it. :-)

    Answer by renea20 at 1:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

  • If I were in that situation I would have my mom watch the baby while I find childcare close by and at the same time apply for daycare asst. or do online classes....the last resort would be driving back and forth to a friends house.
    When my son was a baby I had a job 1 mile from my house the nearest daycare was 8 miles out of town. so I had to drive back and forth to the daycare and back.

    Answer by togo90210 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

  • Also, the government will also pay for child care while you attend school. Out here its called CCCAP (Colorado Child Care Assistance Program)

    Answer by ABusyBee at 1:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

  • I'm in Los Angeles County. Finding child care is a sinch but like I said, can't afford it. there is an ECE/ECD program but i've looked into community colleges and they don't take infants, only toddlers. id assume this adult school is similar.

    anyways, thanks for all the ideas ladies! very helpful.

    Comment by coralbeth (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

  • so I just got enrolled. because of budget cuts, there is no longer a daycare at the school. i'm going to re-apply for CalWORKS now that i may qualify. anyone have any other suggestions or info?

    Comment by coralbeth (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

  • I woudl check with the county for state.

    Answer by four2bmws at 8:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.