Is it safe to take night time cold medicine while you're pregnant?

I'm about 13 weeks pregnant, and I just came down with a killer cold. I can't stop coughing! It's the painful, annyoing, tickle-in-your-throat kind of cough too. I was wondering if it is safe to take night time cold medicine like Nyquil so I could possibly get some sleep tonight. Thanks!

HannaH666

Asked by HannaH666 at 1:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No. Just Sudafed, unfortunately. And don't take it at night, it will keep you up!! Benedryl might be OK, I'm not sure. That would help you sleep.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• They don't want you to take anything during the first trimester since baby is developing rapidly during this stage. Start taking some honey. It's a natural cough suppressant. Get some warm tea as well, it will help.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I would call your doctor and ask...some medicines depend on where you are in your pregnancy.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You should call your OB just to double check, I don't believe they would recommend any night time medicine but I was very sick like you around the same time in my pregnancy as you, I took sudafed and it was enough to relieve some of my discomfort, it sucks I know!

LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 2:09 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Just suedefed unless otherwise said by your doctor. Call your Ob to double check.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You can take Benedryl I think. But, always check with your doc.
    Melissa823

Answer by Melissa823 at 7:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2010