Stuck between having "too much" money and not enough...

We don't qualify for any type of PA, not even medical... but we don't make that much money. After buying food, paying for my kids health insurance and dr bills, & daycare, I'm just as poor (if not poorer) than people who get all kinds of PA. What gives? Sometimes I feel like I should totally "get fired" and collect some unemployment, food stamps, and medicaid and stay home and play with my kids all day. I want to know what stops others in my position from doing the same thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Your situation madam in a nutshell is what is wrong with our welfare system! They hold it against you to try to impove your situation. So, to that end, people sit and refuse to look for work or a better job. Because if they do, they wind up just like you, between PA and a hard place.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:40 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• When I left my ex, I could have totally quit my job, and got all kinds of PA to help me out. Where I live, I could have even gotten an apartment rent free. For me, that has never been an option. If I am working and still need help, then yeah I will take it, but I have too much pride to take something for nothing.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• pride
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• IDK! i wonder that myself. seems like people are being punished for being working poor/ lower middle class... it isnt fair. There need to be major reform to the PA system - like a limit on the time that you can receive.... and btw you cant quit and get unemployment, you have to be fired without cause (like you didnt do anything wrong you just got laid off.)
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I have been on PA (medical and FS) I hated it and will NOT go back. I've also been in the middle where you make too much but can't buy food. I had $50 a week for groceries. We ate the cheapest of the cheap and I also shopped at a bent and dent store and saves money that way. BUT I did it on my own with no help and that's the way I preferred it. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 1:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I know what you mean about making too much but not being enough. I was in a situation in 2008, we got denied because we both collected unemployment, we were $18 over! It took us about 3 or 4 months to get medical. We have always done for ourselves and our kids, this was a situation I didn't want to be in, I think that's what stops me. There are some people that really need the extra help and the system makes it hard for them and easier for others, some that may be abusing it. I just simply do not want to depend on the government to provide for my family if husband and I are capable of doing it ourselves.

LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 1:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• First of all..they don't let you sit home and play with your kids all day. They make you join some kinds of job search programs, then they make you take tests to see where academically you're leveled. If you don't get a job by then or get in some school they make you volunteer work at Goodwill or warehouse that works with Social Services. TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Been there..and i got back in school. If you don't do what they tell you to...you loose cash aid.
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 1:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I know what you mean, when we were first starting out we got food stamps and medical card for my son also WIC. And now that we make too much money to qualify we end up spending less money on food, and having a lot less left over when we pay bills, we make it but not nearly as comfortably as we did when we got the PA. But that is what PA is for, to use while you really need it and then move on and let others in the same position get it. I'm so glad we don't need it anymore, but sometimes when I am in line at the grocrey store I think about how nice it would be to be spending food stamps on that food, rather than cash that I could be spending on something for my son, etc. But knowing that SO and I are independent in taking care of ourselves and our son is what makes me know that we have to keep on working for that.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It's the same for us too. Living paycheck to paycheck is not fun.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I don't know. My favorite is that I don't get medical insurance, but I make too much money to get medicaid. Isn't that great!!
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 2:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2010