Do you still shop in quantity when you see something on sale or just what you need?

I used to buy in quantity when I saw something on sale in the hopes of saving a ton of money. However, I've eased up on that thinking because the initial outlay can be a bit expensive by buying that way.

CafeMochaMom1

Asked by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Always. The key is only buying THINGS you need when they're on sale. Nobody needs 80 boxes of Jello or hamburger helper, so you don't buy them just because they are free. The biggest mistake a lot of people make when they try stockpiling is getting anything they can just because it's free, and then wondering why they bothered when they have boxes and bottles of expired food a year later.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It depends on what it is. If it's a great sale, yea, I do. I've found it saves me money in the future.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I do and I don't. I used to always stock up on stuff when it was on sale, but I'm trying to back off of that for a while and use what I have. Because I'm noticing the dates are getting close on some of the things that I stocked up on before, so rather than continuing to buy whatever it is when it goes on sale again when I have it in the pantry/freezer/refrigerator I am trying not to. But it is so hard for me to pass up a good deal! LOL
    My3LittleGirls

Answer by My3LittleGirls at 1:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I do buy in quantity for stuff I use regularly. Everything else I just buy it as I need it!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Only if it's stuff we use on a regular basis. I'm not going to buy mustard on sale or with a coupon because we literally only use it in the one meatloaf I make a year (maybe two, lol). I like buying the things I actually use when they're on sale though....I bought 3 containers of detergent and got 3 free....haven't bought detergent in months thanks to that.
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Yes I do, but I have everything arranged so I know how much I have, I also have a "Do not buy list" no matter how cheap it is--like spagehtii noodles, I have 10 pounds---LOL, I also make a list of sale items and check to see how much I have now before I buy, and if I forget to look, I only live 4 blocks from the store, I can make multiply trips if needed.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 2:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• not usually- unless I WILL use it and it's on clearance or soemething for WAY cheap. Otherwise if it is something we use I might buy one extra on sale
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• If it's something I will use before it goes bad and I can afford it at the time and it saves me money in the long run, yes I still do it.
    But, sometimes I have to pass up the big one and get a couple small ones because that's all we could afford at the time. Just about killed me!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Most of those advertisements don't actually save you money in the long run. Not only do their raise the initial price to cover whatever you're getting for free or half off, but buying multiples adds up. I buy what I need and if that happens to be multiples of one thing then so be it, but I don't go by what they advertise.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Most of those advertisements don't actually save you money in the long run.

Of course they do. How else do you think people do their shopping for under $50? The problem is you can't just go nuts and buy whatever. I get that people don't want to be bothered to do it. I don't get the ones that insist it can't be done just because they can't be bothered to do it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2010