Any moms in/or completed a graduate program with small kids? DH?

I have a degree in sociology. It's been 13 years now since I graduated. I have three kids 9, 6 and 3. The whole time we've been married (10 years) my husband has been working towards his BA which he just finished with a 4.0 (so you can imagine how grouchy he was to get his work done and with the kids...) He has just started an MBA program. He works in the Auto Industry so he does need to book up to be more marketable if he loses his job. However I don't think I can enter the workforce again until I do the same. I worked retail for around d 7 years as a store manger between graduation and being a SAHM the last 6 years or so. I am jealous that my husband is doing his MBA now, but think it would be way too crazy for us both to be in grad programs. However I don't really know his MBA is going to make more $ for him, but mine could have added a salary to the household. We'd agreed he'd do a weekend program (continued)

jamesonjustines

Asked by jamesonjustines at 1:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in

• I got my masters degree in information systems by going to school full time and night while working full time during the day. My kids were 5 and 1 when I started; I finished in about 16 months. It's not easy, but it can be done. My husband was not in school while I was, though; I can imagine that would make it a lot harder.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I got my Associates degree, but I only needed 6 classes to finish what I had started nearly 20 years ago. DH however is going for his BA and then his MBA, so it will take him longer.

I don't think it's impossible to do, but for us, it meant having less time to focus on our son. So I finished my degree, chose not to go for a BA (school stressed me out too much anyway and I'm in a very stable job) and DH cut down to 1 class at a time (it's an online school, so you can take 1 or 2 classes), although if he decides to switch to a local college he might bump his classes up.

I think if you are good at balancing everything, go for it.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I am going to school full-time with a toddler,but my DH is working full-time and coaching. I have all evening classes(4 nights a week) and I'm doing an internship 2-3 days a week. That's about all we can handle.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• so I could do a weekday program. The weekend program for him was much more expensive. Without even telling me he pretty much applied to the weekday program. He didn't even study for the GMAT and got a passing enough score but with a 4.0 and his Mensa IQ if he had just reviewed the format and some materials he'd have done a lot better and scored scholarship $ I am sure. Did anyone else go back with little kids or their husband in a similar program? Does anyone else feel out of touch from being home a while?
    jamesonjustines

Comment by jamesonjustines (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2010