Has anyone ever been on Lovenox during pregnancy?

I am on the daily injection Lovenox, I was just wondering if anyone had any birth defects with their babies? My OB says no, just wanted a mom's input.

MissingHimIraq

Asked by MissingHimIraq at 2:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Lovenox is safe during pregnancy. I couldn't tolerate it (my injection sites wouldn't stop bleeding 4 days later) so I was on 2 shots of Heparin a day. Both Heparin and Lovenox are safe for the baby (Coumadin is NOT) but Heparin can cause some problems for the mother because it takes calcium from the bones and teeth. Once you deliver, you can go on Coumadin even if you're breastfeeding because it does not pass into the milk.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• BTW I mention the Heparin because if you need to be on Lovenox the whole pregnancy, they will usually switch you to Heparin at the end. It has a shorter half life, so if you go into labor, you don't have as high a risk of hemorrhage.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Ok well that was very helpful, I really didnt think my OB would put me on something that would hurt my baby. My first baby I had some health issues toward the end. So we already have my induction date I dont think we are going to switch. But really glad to know some one else that is on or was on the same as me. Thanks for your reply.
    MissingHimIraq

Comment by MissingHimIraq (original poster) at 3:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2010