What do you think of authors that write from the viewpoint of the opposite sex?

I think it's interesting, but not something I come across often. I have read plenty of novels, say written by a female author, that has a few parts that show the man's point of view--his life, etc. Same with a male author. But male authors tend to write more about men and female authors tend to write more about women--right?

The book I'm currently reading is about the relationship between a mother and her teenage daughter. Very good actually and believable. If I didn't know the author was a man (unless they gave a fake name and put a fake picture on the back, LOL), I would have thought it was written by a woman.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would never have thought Memoirs of a Geisha was written by a man, Arthur Golden. It was really good!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Wally Lamb does a great job of it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I was just going to say if I hadn't known Wally Lamb was male, I'd have never guessed.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 2:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Wally Lamb, I haven't read him yet. His mother was murdered when he was a teenager, wasn't she? That's the one thing that's stood out for me about him (I used to work in a library).

Loved Memoirs of a Geisha! I forgot that was written by a man.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 2:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• that's very common-
    I have been in the middle of SO many messes from my SIL in particular - thinking I wrote something about her. it's very common for a writer to write something from the angle of the alleged first person, when it in fact has NOTHING to do with what you actually think or experienced.

kind of writing as if you are the person that the fictional occurrence happened to, if it had actually happened.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 2:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It does happen that sometimes authors get it right but I often find that male authors dont really portrait woman very well.
    piwacket

Answer by piwacket at 4:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2010