Why all a sudden is my 4 yr old daughter having bowel accidents?

My daughter has been potty trained for 2 years now. Today is the 3rd day in a row that she has had an accident. A small accident..but still. I ask her why and she says "i don't know". Does it hurt? "No".

What do I do about this? Should I call the doctor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Kids' Health

• She could have Irritable Bowel Syndrome or something that mimicks IBS like Crohn's Disease or she could have developed an intolerance to a certain food or allergy.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It may be something she's eating too. Sometimes even a small change in diet can cause it. If my daughter eats just enough fruit, she has accidents too and she's been potty trained for over a year now.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 2:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• She could be mildly constipated. Sometimes, when too much stool gets stuck in the bowel, softer or more liquidy stools will escape around the blockage and leak out or be pushed out when gas is passed.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I would suspect constipation first... even if it seems she is having BM's she still might be all blocked up and it can cause small accidnets like you describe from being so full. I would increase her fiber and water intake and then have her try to poop every day and see if it gets better. If she is still having accidents on Monday I would have the doctor look at her and evaluate.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Increase her fiber. You can add Benefiber to any food or drink. No color, odor or taste.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2010