How do I help my 6 year old do school work?

My dd is falling behind and I want to help her get her grades up, so any suggestion would help with. I only want whats best for her. She gets distracted easy. She is going into grade 1 and the school has asked me to help her through the summer.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Walmart has workbooks you can buy. It is recommended you buy books from the grade your child just completed. If want, you can always seek tutoring if you feel it's necessary.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 2:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• 6-year-old's required losts of breaks! The attention span isn't very long at that age. Also, if you can make her work more hands-on by being creative at home, that may help.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 2:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• ^lots
    Erin814

• You can get work books at the dollar store. I have a dry erase board and weekly I put new things on it for my daughter (5) to work on. It really helps with reading to put words up and we go over them. She likes giving herself check marks when she gets something right.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Lots of reading to her by you and let her help with words you know she knows or think she knows or can sound out.

Basic math concepts with pennies or toys or whatever.

Recognition of letters and sounds on signs as you are driving

LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 11:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2010