How much child support do you receive, per child, per month?

My husband and I are considering divorce. We live in Missouri and have two children, ages 5 and 7. I'm just curious how much child support my husband would have to pay if we were to do this. We want to make the best decision for the kids, but still be able to support ourselves. He makes around $2500 a month (gross).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think there are a lot of factors considered. Do you work or are you a SAHM? What custody arrangement are you considering? What else will he be providing for the children?
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• i would get 97 bucks every 2 weeks for 2 kids, but they cant find him and its been over a year...i will prob never get it!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I live in TN, and here it is based on the income of both parents. So, it varies widely from case to case. You honestly need to look up the custody and child support laws for your state and go from there.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My ex husband pays $800 a month for our two children, ages 5 and 7 as well. I'm not sure his total monthly income, but what he pays is actually what our state would have ordered for just ONE of the kids....so we both find the current figure to be fair. I know he pays $500 for his son from a previous relationship.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• - I forgot to add that we decided NOT to go through the state for court ordered child support...I know my ex husband isn't gong to flake on his kids, but you can still look up your state laws to get a general idea.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My kids get nothing---my DD father is "disabled" on ssi so the child support unit set it at zero, my DS father has tried to follow suit and tried everything to get on SSI and in a last ditch effort to show everyone he was crazy---- he stole a gun and he got 6 years in prison, as he wished he got his child support set at zero while he is in jail-- his child support was only $51.00 a month in the first place, you'd think i would just be easier to pay it but----duh--- it is so frustrating but they are my children and they will love me for raising them and the father will be just old and alone. And the sperm donors feel bad and have no contact with the kids, so at least we don't have to see them--lol. Good luck--but never relie on child support something may happen and you will not get it--- be sure you can support them on you own.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 2:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Google child support calculator for your state. Just plug all the numbers into that and it will give you a much better idea of how much you would get than asking people from different parts of the country.
    My ex is "disabled" as well, but can't get on social security disability (because he's NOT disabled!!), but because he has very little income they just lowered my child support from $600/month for 3 kids to $275/month for all 3, but he hasn't paid anything in 2 years anyway.

Answer by missanc at 2:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You need to google "Missouri child support guidelines". Each state determines child support differently and it's usually dependent on income. No one here can tell you (or even give an accurate estimation) of what you'd receive.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 3:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• blue...have you tried to get SSI for your child? I think you can get SSI because the child's father is on it. If you haven't checked into it, you should.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• it depends on your state and your income as well as his. MOst states have an on-line calculator that you can use to get a ballpark figure.
    Right now I'm court ordered 400/month but I know it will be reduced soon to 200/month .... at the time I was not making much money and his income was figured in at his last job where he made about 24-2800 a month... and we lived in NY where child care was UNBELIVABLY expensive.... the situation is comp. diff now.
    Oh and this is officially for 1 child.
    oh the amt. of time the child(ren) spend in each house hold can also be a factor. (my neighbor and her ex have 50/50 and neither pays C.S.)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2010