Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Can anyone give me some advice on my 24 y/o daughter??!!

I have been having fits! My daughter LOVES to just sit all day and work 2 hrs. a day at the most! I can't get her out of the house because she is hearing impaired. Any ideas?

Answer Question

Asked by teddybeargirl at 2:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 5 (80 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • Call United Way and see if you and her can volunteer, that would be wonderful for her to help and you help her by getting out of the house.

    Answer by ShelbysHope at 2:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

  • Make her help with bills. Then she'll have to get a job...

    Answer by renea20 at 2:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

  • She's 24? Start charging rent.

    Answer by Laila-May at 2:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

  • She's 24. She should be living on her own. Many deaf people live a productive life all on their own. I have a cousin that is deaf and he lived on his own starting around 21 years old. He went off to college, finished with a degree in Engineering, and is now married with children of his own. You telling us that your daughter is hearing impaired makes me think that maybe you're making excuses for her and possibly do that a lot. You need to teach her to be self sufficient and then usher her into adulthood.

    Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

  • Well considering that I'm 26, married, have 2 kids, 3 step kids, college student, and have a full time job. MAKE HER get a job or KICK her out. I know hearing impaired people and the oldest (19) works full time at walmart. The other is still in HS. I don't think that just because she is hearing impaired (not deaf) that you should give her special treatment. Make her ass get up and get a job. Tell her she needs to start paying rent or move out. Time for you daughter to grow up. Time for some TOUGH love.


    Answer by youngmom33 at 2:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

  • Make her get a job. Start charging her rent and have her start payingsome bills around there. That will make her get a job and workl

    Answer by My3LittleGirls at 3:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

  • Its YOUR house, you're in control. A young woman of 24 isn't a child. Its time for the bird to be kicked out of the nest.
    Set a date for her to leave.... 6 months? And stick to it, if you don't, you're the one who created the problem.

    Answer by Rnurse at 7:19 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

  • She needs to socialize with others like her, contact the United way or google info on this kind of thing, you should have done this a long time ago.

    Answer by older at 8:07 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

  • What does being hearing impaired have to do with it? I have worked with blind people. There are classes and learning experiences that she can go through that would give her a new perspective on life and help her to have a purpose and an excitement about life.

    Answer by joysings at 12:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

  • Do not kick her out for one. Call a hearing impaired service to see what they can do to assist you. Many hearing impaired people do live out on their own, but it appear she enjoy being with you at home, nothing wrong with that, but she should be out and about doing things on her own.

    Answer by ambr2006 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.