Humping...

My daughter will be 4 in 2 months. She does this thing when she is tired, where she lays on her stomach and puts her hands in-between her legs and well, pretty much humps her hands. lol. She's done it since she was about 2 and it's always when she's tired...she used to do it and fall asleep. Well, now she's almost 4 and she still does it...except she like gets more into it now and breaths kind of heavy and it freaks me out. I have to stop her and then she'll go try to lock herself in her room and do it. It's really worrying me. Is this normal? She doesn't do it when we have company over anymore(thank god) but how do I get her to stop?

sarahbell811

Asked by sarahbell811 at 2:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Oh wow.. Maybe it is just a habit?? Idk..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I doubt she is doing anything inappropriate in her mind. It's probably just a soothing habit that she has developed (like rocking to sleep).
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 2:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• When I was a preschool teacher right out of college, there was a girl in my class who also did this. She did it every day. Then when I got a job as a therapist my first client did it, she was 5. Her mom talked to her about it and said basically you have to do that in your room in bed only. She didn't get into the sexual aspect of it. But it is obvioualy some sort of stimulation thing at that age. They don't have a clue what they are doing. Nor is it a sexual abuse thing. I personally remember learning about that sensation farely early, not that early, but around 6 maybe??
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• yeah, I think it's some kind of comfort thing. it just weirds me out. lol. my cousin used to do this when she was little, except she would sit on the arm of the couch and hump it. haha
    sarahbell811

Comment by sarahbell811 (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's normal for children at that age to experiment with self exploration. Its one of the ways young children learn about their bodies. I would maybe try to talk to her about how its inappropriate to do it in front of other people, and in public places...that it's something you do by yourself. She should eventually grow out of it. You can always talk to your pediatrician to see what he/she might recommend.

Here is an article I found that delves more into the subject: http://www.drgreene.com/azguide/sexual-curiosity-young-children

(I teach preschool, and have a degree in early childhood education.)
    mandipandy07

Answer by mandipandy07 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I did a form of self stimulation from about age 2. I still do it....only now I call it masturbating until orgasm. I had no clue until I was pretty old that that was what i was doing. LOL Don't stop her, it is normal...makes sure she only does it when alone and she will be fine. Don't make her feel ashamed.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• its normal, it is appropriate to try and teach her that that is appropriate to do in her room, in private.
    eleecpht

Answer by eleecpht at 3:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My daughter has a soothing tic, (lack of a better word) that she does when she's tired/laying down, etc. It's something that she has done since the day she was brought home from the hospital. Although very early on it was just noises, but once she had the muscle tone to move her legs she started to move them. She lays on her side, grunts, and move her upper leg in a "peddling" type motion. She gets moving that I've had people tell me they thought was was having a seizure. The grunting is not as loud as it was when she was younger. I don't think there is anything you really can do, other then discuss it with your doctor. When she was enrolled in public school, she did it to when they had the kids lay down. The first time scared her teacher 1/2 to death, despite the fact I warn the teacher about her laying down tic/behavior.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Leave her be. There is nothing wrong in what she is doing. It's very normal. Rather than stop her from doing it, just let her know that such behavior is not appropriate out in public or in front of guests. Chances are you may have done something similar when you were young. You might want to ask about it, if you can.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:50 AM on Jul. 9, 2010