To ER or not to ER?

My 16 month old just took my Sudafed tablet and I called poison control. They lady said it was more or less up to me if I wanted to take him to the ER. She said that there were no cases of the allergy drug causing problems for children his age. I'm just a little freaked out right now and don't know if I should worry or not. My husband said to just keep an eye on him like the poison control lady said to. What would you do?

crazedaffe

Asked by crazedaffe at 2:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Health

• Yuk, It's so hard to know what to do when it's your kid. I am sorry you are going through this. If you want to wait it out at home just make sure you are in same area with them. If they get tired wake them every half hour. It may iritate them but you'll feel better. As long as they are responding (even if they are mad you keep bugging them), they should be fine. If you can't wake them call for help. It should be out of thier system within 6- 12 hours depending on dose. If all of that makes you nerveous call your pediatrcian- that's what the get paid for!
    koon293

Answer by koon293 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• How many sudafed did he take?
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 2:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• imo ER..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 2:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• atleast call the ER to see if they would want him to go in or call your doc
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 2:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• How many miligrams was it? he'll probably just get sleepy. I'd wait and see.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You could call the pediatrician and see what he/she recommends.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 2:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Poison control would know what to do. They have all of the updated information on everything. If they weren't worried, you shouldn't be. The most they would do anyway at ER is possibly put you in the hospital and watch him. You can do it from home too. I think you'd be ok
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Listen to poison control. The ED will just call poison control when you bring him there.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 3:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It was just one tablet. Thanks everyone for your feedback. It makes me feel a lot better. I called his pediatrician and she said the same thing. To just keep him home and to keep a close eye on him.
    crazedaffe

Comment by crazedaffe (original poster) at 3:20 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• you r a good mom!
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 3:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2010