Do you have a green thumb???

It seems that my thumb is purple!!!!! I buy a plant and in a matter of a few weeks, they are dying or sick looking. I bought impatients thinking they would be easy, but no! they got long leggy and died, they are out in the heat, so I do not know if that did it or not, but even simple orchids will die on me, am I over watering??? Impatients I watered daily because they were outside and the heat is bad, but the orchids were inside and watered them every two weeks, what am I doing wrong???

Asked by older at 2:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I don't have a green thumb, but some of my plants will grow. I talk to my plants, that seems to help..try it:)
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 3:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• No but at least this time mine are not dying! A neighbor gave me a jade plant a while back and said nothing could kill it. I didn't believe him. Sure enough it's still going strong. I just give it water whenever I think about it and it's done fine. Another person gave me an aloe plant. I have not killed that yet. I went to Walmart and took a chance on some spider plants. I bought small ones for $2.00 each just to try. One died during the bad winter but the other two are thriving!!!! I'm so excited I have not killed them! Maybe it's in what you are buying. Try a jade plant and see if that does well then move on to others.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I have a green thumb- but it only came from lots of trial and error and learning about plants-try checking out some basic gardening books at your library. Impatients can't handle heat. They are a shade lover and will bloom in shade or dappled sunlight. So they probably had too much sun. Growing flowers is like realestate- it is all about location, location, location. Full sun flowers need max sunlight. Shade or dappled sun lovers need only morning sun or sun/shade mix. An easy to grow flower that can handle full sun to part shade are geraniums. Pick your spot, plant in a lightweight potting mix and depending on your area and the weather (I live in the deep south), water daily. Give enough water to drench the soil. If your flowers aren't doing well, then typically the problem is either too much/not enough sun or not enough water. I move my flower pots on my patio around all the time looking for the perfect home for them.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 3:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• nope!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2010