help weaning

I'm a SAHM and EBF my 7 month old DS. I was told by a dr to wean him ASAP so that I can start some medicine. I gradually weaned my 1st DS but I had a lot of help and it took a couple of months. My DS will take a bottle from other people but not me. I don't want to just stop because I heard that's really bad. How can I wean fast?

ajmfmommy

Asked by ajmfmommy at 3:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried giving him a sippy cup? He may take that easier from you than a bottle and at 7 months it may be better to wean him to a cup rather than a bottle.

Answer by missanc at 3:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I weaned my DD in a month because I was in my 3rd trimester with her baby brother and wanted her weaned before I had the baby. Replace 1 feeding with a bottle every 3 days until the last 2 nursing sessions that are left are the one just before nap and the one before bedtime. Then drop the nap feeding and 3 days later drop the bedtime feeding. If your baby will take a bottle, then he will take one from you too. My husband works a stressful job, so evenings and bedtime have always been my responsibility and it worked out fine with me being the one dealing with the kids even while weaning.

The main reason for weaning slower is so you don't get engorged, clogged ducts, or mastitis. Dropping a feeding every 3 days kept me from getting engorged, so maybe that will be slow enough to keep you from having problems too.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:13 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• one less feeding a day until no more...if he wont let you feed him a bottle, see if he will feed himself, propped up on a boppy pillow.
    eleecpht

Answer by eleecpht at 3:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Have you checke inot the medication first and even looked up a generic? A lot of meds are safe to take while breastfeeding but a general doctor wouldn't know that. Do that first before you begin the weaning process. There's a book by Dr. Hale that lists every drug you could ever use and its effects on bfing
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• see if you can find your drug here: http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/medicationforumspage.html
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I'm in no way trying to tell you that you are doing the wrong thing, but it IS true that many doctors don't know much about meds and nursing. Many many meds ARE safe while nursing, but if a doc doesn't know this, they might say it isn't. If you are comfortable posting the medication, I do have Dr Hale's book, Medications and Mothers Milk, and would not mind looking it up for you. If you've already got this information, I apologize, and unfortunately, don't have any weaning advice, but you might check into the breastfeeding moms group, I'm sure they'll be able to offer methods of weaning.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Also, Lact-med is a good source for learning if your med is safe. I believe if you just type lact-med into google, you'll get the site.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I don't know the best way to do it fast, but I can tell you what I did slowly. I dropped one feeding at a time and gave her a bottle of formula instead of breastmilk. I believe I dropped one feeding every week until I was down to just a night time feeding. I think it took me about a month to stop completely, maybe longer. It really depends alot on how fast your breasts adjust. Mine seemed like they were really engorged so I would pump out just a little bit if it got to be too much. Good luck.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• More often than not, when a Dr tells mom to wean to start meds the Dr is wrong, and it is safe to breastfeed on the meds. If you are not starting chemo or need to go on lithium then it is very likely that the med he wants you on is okay w/ bfdng.
    The decision about continuing breastfeeding when the mother takes a drug is far more involved than whether the baby will get any in the milk. It also involves taking into consideration the risks of not breastfeeding, for the mother and the baby. And there are plenty of risks in not breastfeeding, so the question essentially boils down to: Does the addition of a small amount of medication to the mother’s milk make breastfeeding more hazardous than exclusive formula feeding? The answer is almost never. Breastfeeding with a little drug in the milk is almost always safer.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2010