What is some of the best parenting advice your parents or grandparents gave you?

My mom and her mom both were in agreement, sometimes genetics and personality are stronger than any kind of discipline. You just have to stick it out. I was pretty high strung and hard to deal with as a baby, toddler, young child. Then my brother hit puberty and he was then the problem. But I agree and have seen, at some points, you just have to accept how a person is. No matter what their age. You can't always mold them or change them into what you want.

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 3:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• The best advice was all the little tips that helped me when my oldest was a baby. It wasn't huge chunks of wisdom but little things like how to hold him when he is fussy, how to wrap him in his blanket. I was a young mom and while I had taken care of babies before, taking care of my own was of course alot different and sometimes just knowing she was right there was enough to give me confidence. It was also enough to drive me up the wall at times too!
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 3:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• None. I wouldn't take advice on parenting from any of them.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I actually haven't gotten any good advice from my mom, just a compliment on the amount of patience that I have with my child.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• the best advice i ever got was to follow my gut. i am the mom and have instincts and knowledge about my child no one else has..... no one knows my kids like i do and to do what i feel is right and forgett every one else.......
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 3:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Be your child's biggest cheerleader. They need to know someone believes in them!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 4:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Not to take all advice and to figure it out on my own because I have more parenting experience then both of them!!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My dad was very supportive with nursing, he wanted to make sure that I nursed my kids, but he wasn't PUSHY, just informative and supportive. It was surprising, knowing that my mom did not nurse us, but he really wanted me to know how good it is to nurse, and I'm glad.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• LOL My dad too said he never had the patience I have and is suprised I have the patience I do. Because growing up and as a young adult I never did. Guess it came with my motherly instincts.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2010