Binkies, Binkies, Binkies...S.O.S

My daughter will be 2 on July 11th (This sunday)..i would really like to get her off her binky, for a few weeks, i had her doing pretty well, where she only used it for Naps and over night, then I would take it away as soon as she woke up, then she got really sick last week and wouldnt sleep at all, so she had her bink most of the time, unfortunately now she is back on it, she is constantly yelling and screaming for it, what can i do? I would so greatly appreciate your advice, thank you!!

Kbrygier

Asked by Kbrygier at 3:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You'll probably have a few rough days, but if you think it's time to take it away, do so and get rid of it. If you're not consistent, she'll know it's still an option.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• go back to making her leave it in bed unless she is going to sleep. If you can sneak in and take it away while she is napping or even out for the night then I would do that as well. Otherwise I would tell her that she is a big girl and that big girls don't need binkies any more that she should donate them to the hospital for the new babies that need them. This really works for some kids. I took my LO's away when she was 5 mos so we haven't had a problem. We replaced it with a lovey. You may be able to get her to even trade it for a new stuffed animal. I would give those ideas a shot. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My 20 month old has almost stopped using his, but he still has it for naps and at bedtime. Sometimes he asks for it when it's not bedtime, I just tell him I don't have one and divert his interest to something else. The first few times I wouldn't give it to him, he fussed for a bit but I stuck to it and now he will still ask every once in a while, but he knows what the answer will be and it doesn't phase him.

Answer by missanc at 3:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• IDK i dident give one to my kids for that reason
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 3:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• At her age you just take it. Throw them all away so you won't be tempted to give them back. She is way past the age of sucking to soothe, now it's just a bad habit. You will have a bad week and then it will be over.

I went through this with my first 2 kids. My DD was 18 months and my DS was 15 months. I don't believe in doing the binky fairy, pretending to mail them off to other kids, etc. I think it's better to just be honest. I told my kids pacifiers were for babies and they were big kids and no longer neded them. I took them all and tossed them. Then I tried to make that first week without the paci as fun and activity filled as possible in order to distract them. But don't give in. Take the binky and be done with it.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• have you tryed the binky fairy? have her gather them all up and put them in a basket or box, tell her the fairy will come get it and give them to other "babies" who need them. in the morning replace with a cool "big girl toy". make it a peacful transition.
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 3:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• thank you SOO much guys!! you've really helped me out, ill let you know how it goes, thanks again!!
    Kbrygier

Comment by Kbrygier (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• We did the binky fairy thing with our oldest right before she turned 3, but with our youngest right after she turned 2 we just took it away, because she was chewing threw them and it was more for safety at that point then annoyance after 3 nights of her whining and crying for it and me telling her she was a big girl and she didn't need it she finally realized it was gone and not coming back. Both ways worked but sometimes it just depends on the child and how much you really want it gone. Good luck!
    LilCaprica

Answer by LilCaprica at 3:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I am the opposite. I believe in self weaning from any soother. Most kids give it up by age 5 and to me, 5 years is a tiny amount of time to keep a soother compared to the 90 years she has left to be an adult. IMO, birth to 5 is at least still baby time to me. I would let her keep it. She has plenty of time to be a big kid self soother.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My daughter is 26 mo. and still uses hers. I'm not sure how I feel about them. I go back and fourth. My pediatrician said to start poking holes in the tips of the pacifiers and most kids will get frustrated with them and toss them themselves. I've poked holes in a few of them but so far she doesn't seem to have noticed. =) We have an 8 mo. old baby in the house too who takes one so I don't really think it is fair to take hers away and not his. I was thinking about waiting until he is 9-10 mo. and tossing ALL the binkies in the house. =) That is going to be a rough week!!!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2010