How often do you breastfeed your 8-month-old?

I'll be returning to work when my baby is 8 months old. I won't be able to breastfeed him from 10am to 3pm. He is 6 months old and doesn't take a bottle. I'm worried about 2 things--will he take a bottle of formula while at daycare and will nursing him 4 times a day be enough to satisfy him and keep up my milk supply?

QBH

Asked by QBH at 3:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nursing 4 times a day, you will keep up a milk supply that is sufficient to nurse him 4 times a day. That's the beauty of the supply and demand nature of breastfeeding. As for taking the bottle. Once he gets hungry at daycare and realizes that mommy isn't there to nurse from, he will eventually take formula...though at 8 months you may want to try a sippy cup. Just be ready because he may self wean. Once babies get formula in a bottle, they often start to reject the breast.

To answer your main question, at 8 months my babies were all still nursing every 2 to 3 hours.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:38 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• i am still BFing my 22 month old. if i were you i would pump insted of giving him formula so that your supply will stay up. my baby does not take a bottle either. good luck.
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 3:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• He's old enough to wait for you or to have table food and a little water if thirsty. He can use a cup or straw.
    I feed my 9 month old every 3-4 hours on demand and she nurses at night twice. She eats table foods (fruit/veg)
    She gets breastmilk while i am away because she likes it but she doesn't need it necessarily.

When you miss feeds you should pump and/or immediately feed when you get home.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• As long as you let baby nurse as much as he needs to when you are together he will do fine! He can have water form a cup and solids while you are apart.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I would pump at work if you can so you keep up supply and baby gets milk from you while you are away. If you can't pump, then formula is fine. Some babies do really well adjusting to bottles vs. breasts, so I hope yours does well. My twins will eat out of anything. :) Good luck!
    Cafe MicheleZ

Answer by Cafe MicheleZ at 2:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2010