What is the best way to clean tile floors that haven't been sealed?

Need to figure out the best way to clean my kitchen floors, they are not sealed and I'm thinking the swifter may not be the best...doesn't get the grout clean. Any solutions??

ShelbysHope

Asked by ShelbysHope at 3:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I'd try using a solution of vinegar and water. Vinegar helps to keep grout clean and bright. You may have to use an old fashioned mop or a rag on your hands and knees. Is there a reason you haven't sealed the floors? Just curious.
    QBH

Answer by QBH at 3:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• No, we talked about it, but havent and of course our lovely builder kept saying we didn't need to, well I am seeing that yes we do. The grout is black, will the vinegar lighten it??
    ShelbysHope

Comment by ShelbysHope (original poster) at 3:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I would try the vinegar and water too. When you get it clean - let it dry. While it's drying go to home depot or some other home improvement store and get the spray on sealer. It works great! Just spray it on the grout lines - let it dry and then mop the floor. Sealed! Very easy. Make sure it's very dry - hours dry.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You can spray?? Very cool, I will do that!
    ShelbysHope

Comment by ShelbysHope (original poster) at 3:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• When we first moved into our current house, the grout in the downstairs bathroom had never been sealed. The last time the bathroom had been remodeled was sometime in the seventies, so that was before grout sealer was even invented. The grout had black mold growing in it, so I used my steamer to kill the mold and get the grout white again. We've since gutted that bathroom & remodeled it, but until we did, the steamer was great for keeping the mold at bay and the tile clean.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2010