Proper funeral attire - Am I out of touch?

Since when are shorts and flip flops proper attire at a funeral service? Granted, they were only graveside services, so my family dressed more casual than had it been a church service, but I could not believe what I saw some people wearing.

Am I old fashioned and out of touch with what is acceptable?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• No, you are not out of touch! Those people in shorts and flip flops were being very disrespectful IMO. I would never think to wear that to a funeral, graveside only or not.

Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 4:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Not out of touch, shorts and flip flops are a bit out of place at any funeral, graveside or not.

Answer by older at 4:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• If you are old fashioned than so am I. Because I would never dream of wearing short and flip flops unless specifically requested to do so.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 4:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• No, you are not. It is disrespectful to dress so casually when a family member is being buried. I still believe in the simple black dress for any funeral.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 4:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I showed up to one of my BFF's in a tube top and shorts. That's how she was used to seeing me and I was there to respect her. Her family knows me so they also know I dress how I feel and if I would have shown up in a dressier outfit, it would have disrespected my BFF.

I think it all depends on the person who dies and their attitude. For my Granny, I wore a nice skirt and a dressy shirt because that's how she wanted me to be.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Definitely not appropriate funeral attire by any means.I'm sure that if the tables were turned, the person that passed away wouldn't be wearing shorts and flip flops to their funeral. So disrespectful
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 4:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• The flip flops aren't so bad IMO. But shorts, I wouldn't think of doing that. But I still wear dresses and skirts to church as often as possible. But, I wouldn't think it be disrespectful. In our family you wear what you have, which may only be that for summer days.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• That's crazy!
    USPS-I-DELIVER

Answer by USPS-I-DELIVER at 4:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Unless it was specifically requested that people wear shorts and flip flops then no, they should not be worn.

Even at ones that say it's "casual" and to wear whatever you want, I still always dress nicer than normal. No jeans, no sneakers, no flip flops, no ripped or torn clothing. Just something nice and low key.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• maybe they didn't have anything else to wear.
    I wouldn't dress like that at a funeral either.

I remember when I was in J-high and didn't understand why my mom kept wearing worn out sweats all the time. turned out her other clothes didn't fit!

ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 4:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2010