How's this for a daily diet?

We are semi-vegetarians (which means i only eat fish and poultry in combination with a ovo-lacto vegetarian diet).

Cereal (hot or cold) with fruit about 3 times a week (sometimes more). Usually water to drink.
Eggs, (about once a week with pancakes and hash browns) with a little toast, and fruit with water, soy milk or orange juice to drink for about 4 times a week (sometimes less).

Lunch is usually PB & J (whole grain bread) with fruit and/or veggies. with either water or a V8 fusion to drink. Sometimes a quesadilla with black refried beans, usually some avocado, maybe some chives and/or tomatoes.
(rarely, i'll eat what was left over from breakfast or what was left over from dinner the night before).

For dinner, usually a ton of veggies cooked in some vegetarian way. Usually with beans, pasta or rice. Sometimes with fish or chicken (about once a week). Usually with water to drink.

Thoughts? Improvements?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 3:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• sounds good to me too!
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 5:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• That sounds well balanced to me.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 5:09 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You are on the right track! I would suggest a bit more variety!! The V8 drinks are high sugar. Orange juice I would recommend calcium fortified since us women need the extra calcium. Fish two to three times a week is ideal, salmon is great, especially to make sure you get the needed nutrients! Hashbrowns are not a good choice. Great choices to add would be a handful of nuts, the best are raw almonds. Steamed broccoli is great because it has calcium as well as spinach. Whole grain pasta and brown rice are much better for you and just a fistful portion. They will fill you up longer. Oatmeal (you said hot cereal, wasnt sure you meant oatmeal) for breakfast is a great option with the handful of berries as you said you have already. Salad is great for lunch and dinner. Load it up with veggies, spinach, romaine, small amount of dried cranberries,avacado. Careful on dressing. balsamic vinegar is best.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 9:57 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• To me, it seems a little low on the calcium side. You also may want to check your protein intake and make sure you're getting enough daily. I use caloriecount.about.com to analyze everything I intake and what I need to incorporate more or take out.

sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 2:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• sounds healthy to me!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Sounds great but try measuring the amounts you're eating for a few days and adding up the calories. I ate really well but found out I was eating way too many calories for how active I was. Don't know if you have a diet goal but this might help. And sparkpeople.com is an easy way to track calories and nutrients.
    cb8444

Answer by cb8444 at 3:44 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• That sounds a lot like our diet. I joke saying we're about 80% vegetarian. We eat a lot of beans, mostly black b/c they're my favorite. I'd say if that is what you eat every day, that can become old quick. If you have PB & J, you may start to crave variety. I make things like Black bean burgers, black bean tacos, Tofu and Broccoli stirfry, lentil quiche, and these amazing veggie sandwiches w/ roasted egg plant and red peppers w/ portabello mushrooms and feta cheese. yum. I make enough to have it for lunch the next day for all of us, it saves money to do it that way and we love our dinners, so its good to have it the next day for lunch! For breakfast, I use some red pepper and onion w/ egg whites w/ a little cheddar cheese (like 1/2 oz or so) on 1/2 a whole grain sandwich thin.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 8:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I limit my meat intake because i'm working on becoming a vegetarian so i won't be increasing my fish intake at all.

I don't plan on depriving myself of foods i love. So the hashbrowns will stay. lol

We do eat nuts as a snack. We make our own mix.

I promise we get enough broccoli and spinach. We eat tons of veggies.

We only eat whole grain pasta and brown rice.

I only use olive oil for a salad dressing.

I'm not worried at all about calories. Not trying to lose or gain weight.

We eat plenty of cheese, drink milk, eat nuts. Most people eating the typical American diet eat too much protein.
    outstandingLove

Comment by outstandingLove (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2010