Have had a or have you considered home birth?

Since DH and I TTC #2, I have been reveiwing my previous labor in my mind. Looking back on it I feel like I had a pretty good handle on it until it was time to transition to the hospital (I arrived at the hosptial 10cm dialated). Which has lead me to consider home birth but I would love to hear from those who have had a home birth or those of you who cosidered and ruled it out (if so why).

FuzNet

Asked by FuzNet at 4:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I had a hospital birth with my first daughter and a home birth with my 4 month daughter.... I will never birth in a hospital again. I would love to tell you more but this is messing up. Join the Birth is Normal group for some great info! :)
    ameliasmama1

Answer by ameliasmama1 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I had a hospital birth because I knew that there would be trained professionals there in case anything went wrong.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I would like to but I live over an hour from the nearest hospital and the ambulance crew is voluntary so it could take up to 10 minutes for them to get there if something went wrong.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It never crossed my mind. I wanted the professionals there, the monitors and other machines that keep track of everything, and maybe most of all, I wanted the drugs!
    No way I could do a home birth.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I looked into it because DH brought it up. I decided on hospital birth because I just feel better knowing a doctor is around and medical equipment that may be needed is nearby. To each their own though.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I will definitely have a homebirth or close to it with any new kids. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Yes i've considered it, and yes I would do it, but since I hemorrhaged severely during my last delivery, and we can't determine 100% without doubt that it was the use of pitocin, i'm a "high risk" delivery.

I do however have a VERY wonderful OB with a low C-Section rate who strives to avoid induction unless absolutely necessary. He's completely open and accommodating to my current birth plan, and i'm happy to have him deliver our baby in October. Assuming everything goes according to plan and I don't hemorrhage again, I will plan a home birth if we have anymore children after this one.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 4:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My son was born in a homebirth atmosphere, just not our home. We are planning a homebirth for our daughter due on Halloween. We have contracted a CNM licensed in homebirth, a CPM as her assistant, and a doula. All three are trained professionals. IMO, they are better trained in the specifics of caring for mom and baby and in childbirth. Personally, I would never consider giving birth in a hospital. Best wishes to you!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Have considered it, will be doing it with the next baby hopefully! My husband in a medic in the military and delivered a few babies overseas and whats for me to have our next baby at home so, we can be more involved in delivering our baby. I have had 4 hospital births that were by the book so, we can do it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I didn't have a home birth.. But I used a midwife and went to a private birthing center. It was basically just a house that the midwife used. It was WONDERFUL. I got to lay in a big fluffy bed, then I moved to a big bathtub where I had dd. All the convience of having a homebirth, without having to clean anything up lol. I loved my midwife. I could have anyone there I wanted, I could pretty much do whatever I wanted. And I went home 4 hours after dd was born.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2010