What is a good age to introduce chores and allowance?

My son is 4 yrs old and I was wondering if he was at the age to where we can start doing this or if he's still too young.

zackaroosmom

Asked by zackaroosmom at 4:20 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is the same age and has his own chores. He gets rewards for job well done.
    monkeedork

Answer by monkeedork at 4:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• We started allowance at age 3 with $1. At about 4 1/2 I started giving a second dollar if he cleans his room all by himself every Thursday. I love it because he saves up for things he want rather than bugging me for them. Lately he's been collecting the Cars die-cast cars from the Disney Store which are $5.50 each or two for $10 so we sat down and figured out how much they'd cost and he realized it would be better to hold off and buy them two at a time rather than buying them individually. We were actually just at the mall this morning because he had enough saved up for another two and he's been playing with them all morning.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My 2 year old has things he's responsible for doing. But, not too much. He picks up his toys before bed (gets a sticker to put on his chart if he does it without too much fussing. Lol). He also helps me take the bathroom trash out. Though this isn't something I make him do. He likes taking the little bag from the bathroom and following me when I take the kitchen trash out. =) If he's good we will put some change in his piggy bank. He gets a special day out once it gets full....or he can get a toy. When he gets in school he will have more to help with. But, for now I would rather him get to spend the day playing and being a kid.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 4:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I don't feel like you're ever too young to start learning about responsibility, chores and allowances. I feel if a child earns a reward for an accomplishment well done, they learn to appreciate. Even though it is materialistic, money gives us the roof over our heads, the cars we drive, the food we eat, the clothes on our backs, etc. What I've noticed lately is children generally don't give two hoots about what they own when it's given to them. If they earn their toys throughout whatever allowance system you set up, at whatever age, then I feel they will surely learn to appreciate what they own.
    HCBallek

Answer by HCBallek at 4:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• To each is own,but I don't feel that any child should get any kind of money for chores... period. I mean my brothers and sisters didn't. Money was for paying bills and food ,ect. Not for cleaning up what we may have messed up anyway.We would say the bathroom is clean,or kitchen or even our rooms....and we would get an... OK/now.. you can go outside and play!
    CafeMom732

Answer by CafeMom732 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My kids started doing chores on their own at 3.  Before that they did them with help.  They don't get an allowance because they are supposed to pick up after themselves and contribute to the household.  I'm not their maid and won't pick up after them.

My 4yo cleans her own room, puts her dirty clothes in the hamper, brings the hamper to the basement stairs, folds and puts away her clean clothes (usually with help otherwise it takes her forever), puts her dirty dishes in the sink, empties the dishwasher when asked, cleans up messes she makes in other rooms, helps carry groceries and take out the recycling.  She also likes to sweep and dust.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2010