Brestfeeding and a full time job?

This is my first pregnancy and I am due in November. After my son is born I have maternity leave for 6 weeks then back to work. He will be in day care but I really wanting to brestfeed. One of the ladies were I work suggested pumping while at work and sending what I pump with him while he is at day care and brest feeding while I am at home. I really need help...

hrfousek

Asked by hrfousek at 4:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I worked at a daycare and moms would usually do the morning feeding and pump during the day and leave the milk with us and breastfeed at night. Some moms would also come in on their lunch break and do another feeding while they ate at the same time so nipple confusion and all that wasnt as big of a deal. The problem I sometimes see with pumping is losing your supply so I would make sure you EBF while your still at home and still do as many breast feedings as you can to keep it up. GL mama alot of women tend to give up when they have to go back to work you can do it!
    dairyberrys

Answer by dairyberrys at 4:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I take care of a baby whose mom works. She leaves me pumped breast milk in bottles all ready for during the day when I am with him. She pumps at work and brings that home for the nest day with me. Good luck.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• That is what I did when I worked full time when my son was born. I breastfed until he was 20 months old. I also used a manual pump because I felt like a cow with an electric one. Don't feel like going back to work means you can't breastfeed, you can.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 4:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Thats a good question because I plan to breastfeed and I didnt know what to do when I went back to work.
    TeeTeesmommy

Answer by TeeTeesmommy at 8:09 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• w/ ds#1, i had to go back to school at 4 1/2 wks. i pumped while i was at school or clinicals and nursed while at home. towards the end of school, he did end up reverse cycling, but that was fine w/ me. he bfed until he weaned himself at 14 months.
    join the breastfeeding group on here. those ladies have WONDERFUL advice.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 12:25 AM on Jul. 9, 2010