Grand Canyon National Park

We are planning an overnight stay at Grand Canyon National Park. We want to be able to spend a few hours exploring , somewhere good for kids (they are 13, 11, and 6). We will be driving from WA to TX and are planning to stop along the way. We will get to the hotel around 10 or 11 at night, sleep, checkout the next morning and see the canyon, then be on our way by 3 PM that day. I am wanting to get some advice from anyone who has been there...what is the best spot to go to with kids? And where should we stay because I am finding that all the rooms in the lodges actually in the park are either full or cost $200+ per night. We do not want to back-track, so going to Flagstaff or anywhere near there is out of the question, unless there is a nice part of the canyon right there. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 4:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I live in flagstaff and there isnt anywhere close to stay the night unless you either stay at the park or drive back to flagstaff. Depending on where you go (south rim, north rim) you can do some hiking, not all the way to the bottom of course, there are some shops and places to have lunch but it more a view attractions then alot of activities.....Not really sure what else to add but you can msg me if you want more info or details or anything
    dairyberrys

Answer by dairyberrys at 4:44 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I'm in Phoenix and have been there many times. Personally I think the North Rim has a nicer view, but the South Rim is a little safer. You have to be really careful with your kids, some point on the canyon don't have any railing and all it takes is one slip to fall over the edge. I won't take my DD (4) without one of those leashes, I hate them but I'd rather her safe and on a leash then at the bottow of a canyon.
    allfiller

Answer by allfiller at 4:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• We went when I was around 12. Honestly I don't remembered where we stayed, but I think it was in or near Flagstaff(not that it would help even if I remembered the name. The spot that I remember the most was where the canyonwas at or near it widest. The view was breath taking. I think the stop had a name, but I don't remember it. I guess I am not much help other then your kids will remember it for a long time.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 4:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• What we done is do the package deal with train and hotel tour. It was fun for us. Oh, and they also have a deer farm near by that you might want to check out.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2010