How do I...

My grandmother has stage 4 pancreatic cancer and my ds is very close to her. He is only 2 but I am soo scared of how he will react when she is gone. Do I try to prepare him for what is coming? Do I just see how he responds when it happens?

HuskerMommy08

Asked by HuskerMommy08 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Too youmg to "prepare". If he can visit let him enjoy those times. See how he responds when it happens. He has you and those who love him to be there for him. Do not over think it. best wishes
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:38 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I would personally wait. I would think it would be esier to discuss then. He most likely won't understand until it happens, his level or understanding is still going to be low at age 2. Are you religious? That would be how we would handle it, that she is sick and when Jesus is ready for her she will go. When I was young and a relative died, my gramma explained it to me like this....God was walking in his garden and picking a boquet of flowers. Your great gramma was one of the flowers that was the most beautiful to him today and he picked her to take back to his house. I was older than 2, but I will never forget that explaination. It was perfect.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My son was that age when my husband's grandmother died from stomach cancer. He visited several times in the hospital, including the last night when she could only flutter her eyelashes. She squeezed back when he held her hand. He went to the funeral home and to the funeral as well. There was a little drawer in her coffin that some pictures her drew for her he put there. I think its a good experience for kids and you will know what he can handle and what he can't as time goes on. My condolences and thoughts to your family.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 4:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2010