how many of you share your hubby's interest but really hate doing it and if you do not you end up in a fight

ok girls i need your help on this we have a 30ft boat it is like living in a small apartment. hubby loves his boat when he is not working he is out there. he always wants me to come out but i hate the boat. we have a 4 and 8yr old girl and boy when we all are out there all they do is fight and then hubby gets pissed off at me i feel like i am in a prison cell when i am on that boat. hubby is laying on the couch sleeping and i am in this small area trying to watch the kids and keep them busy. i would just rather stay home in our three bedroom country home then go to that boat. but if i do not go out there hubby gets pissed off at me and tells me that i never want to do any thing with him. all he wants to do is stay on this boat. i hate it i want to do other things. we always have big fights over this boat. i wish it would sink. but should i just suck it up and do this for him. the kids do like staying on it.

horselover2

Asked by horselover2 at 4:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• i'm sure he does the same for you
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• He is sleeping on the boat and you are taking care of the kids??!! You need to have a discussion about this. Calmly and nonjudgemental. You both need to compromise. Why can't the kids go with him alone once in awhile and you have time to yourself? Try to work something out. There are plenty of couples who do not share hobbies.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Personally I would tell him that he gets two days with that damn boat, one alone and one with the family. Thats absurd... My SO spends all his time in his man cave (shed out back) I won't go out there, its dirty and it smells... GL!
    allfiller

Answer by allfiller at 4:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• There are some interest we share and some we do not. We do the interest we share together, others, we do apart without friends. I would try to make a compromise. If he goes there every weekend, I would go every other weekend, or something like that.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• be grateful about what you have i say...just being able to spend time with your family should be enough, it doesn't matter where your spending it..although i would much rather be on the water, and if he loves it and the kids love it..maybe its you, not him.
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 4:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• hubby has never been alone with our two kids. he could not handle them. he will take our 8 yr old son on the boat with him but not our 4 yr old daughter. he could not handle both kids at once. to sume it all up he is not a good dad. he is fine when they are good but when they are not he gets all bent out of shape and leaves. i have never been any wheres alone with out the kids. beside my once a yr doc visit but i have to make that when the kids are in school. it seems like it's about him all the time.
    horselover2

Comment by horselover2 (original poster) at 4:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• find things for the kids to do, games, swimming, etc and just have fun. Don't be so up tight.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Compromise, compromise, compromise. Hubby seems to really enjoy his time on the boat. Which, face it, is better than enjoying his time at the bar or strip club. I even sometimes wish my boyfriend would have a project or hobby just so I can get him off my back most of the time. But see, the grass is always greener. Now, I feel like you two should set up a schedule that works for the both of you. Say, one day a week, or every two weeks, or a weekend every month that you both stick to. This way, if he asks you out of the blue, "Honey lets go on the boat tomorrow", and you have plans, he shouldn't get upset because you both have a pre-meditated date planned for your family adventure. You're not depriving him of his harmless hobby and the kids have a great time as well.
    HCBallek

Answer by HCBallek at 4:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I never get time to myself, i ALWAYS have to take care of both the kids too. I think that maybe you are trying to make this a pitty party. Moms across the world are in your shoes. So many of us never get time to ourselves because that is what happens when you have kids..And fyi in a year your 2nd child will be in school and then youll have all morning to go places alone until they are out of school. Be more grateful.
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 4:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2010