Does it break your heart to see America going into decline?

I work in a major downtown city and I see scads of business closures, more and more homeless people, and public maintenance deferred. I fear a true recovery may be 5, 10 or maybe more years away - your thoughts?

tasches

Asked by tasches at 4:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If you happen to travel, the exact same phenomenon is occurring in many other industrialized nations. the finances of many appear to mirror a pyramid scheme, all smoke and mirrors - from individuals, to companies, lenders, and government all an illusion bolstered by borrowed money. Our friends in 2 tier countries shake their heads at what we (Americans) possess, but do not own. For our friends, it is the exact opposite. Everything they have, which is not much, they own outright, even their homes. Sometimes you wonder who is actually doing it right, and really getting ahead.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Yes its heartbreaking. Our country has gone to hell, and its not going to get any better, especially if the powers that currently be have any say in it.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 4:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It is sad, yes. But that is what happens when there are more apathetic people than active people. But we will turn this around, with or without the assistance of the government. I think that most of us right now are in a "wait and see what happens in Nov" mode, with a plan of which way to go depending on the results then. Just because there doesn't seem to be any action by the business world, don't think they aren't making plans. I would bet that they are making plans for either party having control. And right now, they are just waiting to see who wins, so they will have some idea of which road to go down.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 6:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• if we spent more time worrying about our own country and its people we would not be here right now. but instead we would rather help everyone else and look like the good guy. it is sad to see this country become what it has become no freedoms to speak of and the government gaining and gaining more power then it should have and people just dont see it. or they just dont care they are to caught up in there own lives to notice that this country is failing its people.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 8:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I just kinda miss the "old days" where people cared more about other people than about how much money and things they have. Where neighbors helped neighbors no matter their differences, where people were more self-sufficient and less self-righeous. When more things were made with pride in the USA. When we knew where our food came from and that it was safe to eat. I see this whole world going down the wrong path, and it really wouldn't take a whole lot to turn it around if everyone contributed, but many people are too worried about getting what they "deserve" and what they want than doing what they need to.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Everything they have, which is not much, they own outright, even their homes. Sometimes you wonder who is actually doing it right, and really getting ahead.
    -------
    Yeah, people laughed when I said that I don't believe in credit cards. I have a mortgage payment, but other than that, every little thing (or big thing) on my property is owned outright by me & my hubs.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 6:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Sure does... Good ol Bush threw this country right in the toilet and Obama flushed us down... Its a shame - My SO and I have actually been considering moving to Canada...
    allfiller

Answer by allfiller at 4:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It breaks my heart more to see a certain segment of our population CHEERING for the demise of this country!! As in "let's reduce the best and the brightest down to the lowest common denominator, so that everyone feels good about themselves, crap!"

The world already contains several FAILING socialist countries...go there if you want the government to take care of you from cradle to grave. Leave the United States alone, and allow us to prosper!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It's sad to see.
    MunchMunch

Answer by MunchMunch at 5:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• 29 the USA can not fix the world, doesn't matter who is elected. This is a global problem. It's a brand new and totally different problem with far reaching implications.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2010