My neighbor's dog...

I don't think this warrants calling the police, but what would you do?

The neighbors directly behind us have this kick-dog that keeps coming into our backyard. I got sick of it, so I put up a small gardening fence to show that there is indeed a boundry that we don't want their dogs to cross. Since we put it up, it has been kicked down and trampled on. The dog (and their friends' dogs) keep entering my yard. This bothers me for 2 reasons: 1.) I have small kids and I don't know the history of those dogs. 2.) I have 2 large dogs that will tear them apart if given the chance.

I live in a pretty hostile neighborhood with lots of violence. I don't want to go over to talk to them unless I absolutely have to.

I don't have the money to put up a large fence to keep THEIR dogs out of my yard. My dogs listen and obey and stay within our yard. If I let my dogs outside and they attack them, we're going to be held accountable. What would you do?

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 3:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Pets

• First I would put up 2 signs "Children at Play" and "beware of dogs" then I would file a report. If one of your children get hurt there was an effort on your part to put a stop to it, but also if their dogs get hurt by yours the court will find you less at fault. The last thing you want is to have your children get hurt or have to put down your dogs because their dog got bit
    h3art2h0m3

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 3:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• We already have "No Trespassing" signs in the front of the house and on the back of our garage (where it's visible to them). We've been told using "Beware of Dog" signs can be bad for homeowners because it's like you're admitting to having a violent animal.

I've never seen a "Children at Play" sign. Where can I find one of those?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Do you have any piece of lawn furniature you can put up? How about a piece of plywood to cover the hole? You could also string heavy nylon twine back and forth to criss cross it closed with the garneding fence. OR you culd grab the offending dog put him in your car and take him to the shelter and drop him off as a stry that was in your yard. Also try calling your local pound. If it's a small dog they may put a trap in your your for you to trap it. I feel for you, as having a bad neighbor really sucks!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Well, its not just a hole...it's the entire length of my backyard. We have a few trees and bushes back there, but no real fence. I don't want to start chaos with the neighbors, but if this keeps up...they won't have a dog left. Will animal control really do anything?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I would talk to the neighbors and focus on the safety of their dogs. Let them know you have killer dogs if provoked. Also, I have heard that one of those airhorns (like they blow at the sports games) is a great deterrant. When you see the dog, blow it and they eventually get the message to "get out and stay out" You can get an airhorn in a small size from www.petshow.com or go online. You may want to try the blowing first and/or explain it to your neighbors so they know what you are doing.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 4:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I agree with the signs. The laws in MO state that if you have a visible sign stating children at play or beware of dog then you can't be held accountable on that property. Now if your dogs were to get loose and attack their dogs off your property then you are accountable. I hope you can find a new neighborhood soon.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 4:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• air horns work great, also sometimes just a bike horn or anything with a loud annoying beep. there are these motion sensors you can use for the garbage can or the bed to teach a dog not to go there anymore, it's very shrill and loud and shouldn't take too long to keep those rascals away.
    i know that this is mean but i heard a friend of SO talking about how he had a similar problem to this and he got some stinkbombs and threw it out in the yard whenever the dog would come. he said it worked like a charm but i dunno.
    hiddenpoet

Answer by hiddenpoet at 6:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Hun, I say file a report with animal control that the dogs have been in neighboring yards, unattended, at least get someone out there. You should be able to file anonymously. I wish you luck, I have recently had similar issues, we have a pit bull and an aust. shep. Our back yard is fenced, 6ft privacy. But front yard is free to who ever. My dogs got out on accident once, I was treated by my neighbors bc my vicious, not really just stupid people, dogs were out and they would call animal control on us. Well my dogs havent hurt anyone but the person who threatened us, her dog bit my husband on the nose, go figure...and it was just a mutt. Anyways we have issues with people letting their dogs pooop in our front yard and they dont bother picking it up. It is annoying we always take bags when we walk our dogs just in case, I should not have to pick up after others animals, and you should not have to worry about an animal that is not your responsibility either. Good Luck hun!!!
    Anubis8733

Answer by Anubis8733 at 5:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2008