C section or no?

im 35 weeks pregnant and i have partial placenta previa. my last appointment my doc said he wanted me to try a natural birth because i was out of the danger zone. but it would have to be monitored closely and could very possibly end up in a c section. At first i was happy about this because i was scared of a c section. but the more i read on it and the more i think about it, i dont want to chance any harm to my baby. i think i would prefer to just do the c section. My question is what would you do, and with this being my first will my doc let me request a c section? im goin tomorrow to see him, just wondering what you think! thanks!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would try to have a natural birth if I were you, especially if the doc says that you are out of the danger zone. It's better for you and the baby.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 5:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• i'm a bit confussed, is he going to try to stimiulate natural birth, or give you pitocin?
    madamlinwe

Answer by madamlinwe at 5:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I woud let him monitor you, I dont think it can cause harm to baby the reason why they do a c section is because baby cant come thru the birth canal, and if your contractions get strong enough your placenta may not be able to handle it and it could reupture, making you hemmorage but baby would be ok
    dairyberrys

Answer by dairyberrys at 5:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I would absolutely NOT sign up for a c-section if the placenta is clear enough from the cervical opening. C-sections are so much riskier, mama, and if your doc says your ok'd for a vaginal birth, there's no reason to add more risks to a low-risk birth.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 5:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I would NOT choose a C section if your doctor has ok'd you for a vaginal delivery. C sections carry a heavier recovery time, being that they are a major surgery! I have had two vaginal births, and expect to have a third one come November. I was in the hospital for 24 hours, and then back at home moving around. I was able to enjoy my baby more, without having to take pain meds and such. Besides, I have no scars!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Try natural momma. If he thought it was going to harm the baby he would say c section. I would try it. :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I would try natural birth and I am sure that they will be closely monitoring you and if there is any reason for concern they can perform the C-section in a matter of minutes.
    7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 6:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• If you will be monitored closely then you should be fine.
    It's safer to deliver vaginally whenever possible.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I would not go for the c-section unless the baby was clearly in danger. If you end up with an emergency c-section that's fine, but you really should try vaginally first as it's cheaper and well not major surgery.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• If you are only 35 weeks, that means that you still have at least 5 weeks for your uterus to streach, thereby allowing the placenta to be brought up even more away from the cervical opening. All you need to do is another check at around 40 weeks and you should be fine. Obviously if you have any bleeding or other problems, your doc will be there for you.
    I think that he is just letting you know that it may be a possiblity, but most likely it won't. I wouldn't stress at all.
    DEFINITELY go for a vaginal birth! Much much much less risk for you and your baby if it is not needed. :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 7:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2010