swaddling

How long can you swaddle a baby for? Mine is almost two months old..and he really likes to be swaddled when taking a nap or going to bed. It helps him calm down. How do you keep your baby born once swaddling isn't safe? (can you lightly wrap a blanket on their legs?)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's safe to swaddle him until he rolls over, breaks loose, or doesn't want it. Often this happens around 3-4 months. As part of the de-swaddling process and a safe way to keep him warm, with each of our boys, we switched them to Halo sleepsacks (wearable blankets). It actually keeps him warm all night because he can't kick it off, plus it can't end up covering his face and being a SIDS risk.
    smittendorff

Answer by smittendorff at 10:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I had bought a swaddling blanket and I kept him swaddled until the rolled and kicked himself out of it, until he was about 6 months, then I bought him a sleep sack. He like that too.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Had a friend who swaddled her baby for almost a year. That baby loved it. The next one wiggled out of it around 2 months. She hated it! There are all sorts of blanket sleepers made for babies once they are too big to swaddle or if they wiggle free.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• oops, i meant warm, not born..silly me.

@elizabr-ok, i might look into those. Thanks!
    madamlinwe

Answer by madamlinwe at 5:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• my babe was swaddled till 6months and now she's in a sleep sack.
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My son didn't much care for swaddling but my friend's child still loves it and she will be one this August. As for how to keepp them warm after swaddling, I just purchased some warm pjs and sleep sacks for my DS. He is almost 2 now and still has no interest in blankets.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 5:13 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• my daughter loves to be swaddled and shes 8 months!! i dont use a swaddler just a knit blanket she does get hot but its the only way i can get her to sleep she does wiggle out of it and sleeps w. out being swaddled for the night or naps but to get her to sleep shes gotta be swaddled weve tried everything!!! and if she doesnt roll outta it once she is out for good we un wrap her so she doesnt get to hott!
    douellette

Answer by douellette at 7:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I swaddled my son until he was about 5 or 6 months old. Afterward, I always put him in the footie pjs and those kept him warm. He's very hot natured, and even now at 3.5 he doesn't like sleeping with a blanket. I also have a 5 month old baby girl, and I still swaddle her as well. She has figured out how to kick her legs out and get her arms free, but she has a hard time falling asleep if her arms are free.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 9:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• We swaddeled our son until about 8 months - had to make our own out of cute fabrics from the fabric store to help fit:) He started to just fall asleep without it, but if he's really fussy or shaken up, he still loves being wrapped up tight and often we'll swaddle him to fall asleep when he's upset and he's almost 13 months!
    TarraJoy

Answer by TarraJoy at 10:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I swaddled dd until she was about three mos. Then she started wiggling out of the blankets too much. I wish I could still swaddle her. Bed time was sooo much easier!
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 12:24 AM on Jul. 9, 2010