My child is invited to a party, do I go?

My daughter is almost 4. The neighbor, turning 6, who also goes to her school, has invited her to a little chef party. They will be making pizza. It doesn't say if I should go, too, or not. I'm not sure what is usual. My daughter has some sensory issues and is easily upset, but the little birthday girl has some issues/special needs, too. Do you know what I should do? I feel silly asking, like I'm either expecting them to take care of my kid or inviting myself.

Hazelnutkin

Asked by Hazelnutkin at 5:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes,you go with a 3 yr old

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My son is special needs. No one has ever objected to me attending bday parties with him.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I agree that you go, especially a 3 year old.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My Daughter Madalyn went to one of those she had so much fun! Take her she will love it!
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 5:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You go and watch, and if the other mom needs help you offer. If you really are that unsure, call her and ask if she would like some help that day, because you would like to make sure that she's not over stressed. If she says no, dont make a big deal of it, but go and watch. If your daughter has sensory issues, she will need you there for stability.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 5:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I would ask the mother throwing the party. I know that when I throw parties or events for children under school age (5 and under) I like the other parents there to help corral the children.
    Perhaps you can ask her is she needs some adult helpers, it provides an opening to determine if you are suppose to go without inviting yourself along (if she didn't intend to invite you too).
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 5:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• ASK! You never know unless you ask.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• ABSOLUTELY MOM! I would expect and HOPE parents would come to be able to assist their child, especially if she needs you b/c of a a special need :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You should go.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 5:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• you def. should go where ever your child is you have a right to be
    karglynn

Answer by karglynn at 5:20 PM on Jul. 8, 2010